8th grade spelling/vocabulary websites?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By randm0607
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By joannc.lugo

Thread: 8th grade spelling/vocabulary websites?

joannc.lugo is offline Junior Member

Smile 8th grade spelling/vocabulary websites?

Hello,

I am new to homeschooling my 8th grade daughter. We just started last week. I am looking for some good extra/ additional websites with strictly vocabulary lessons/spelling lessons. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The free SpellingVocabularyCity site is the best! There are loads of free spelling games, but you do have to upgrade to a premium account to access most of the vocabulary games. It's only something like twenty dollars a YEAR, though. If you're a Time4Learning member, sometimes you can get a discount on SpellingVocabularyCity by logging in to your parent account and clicking on Member Incentives at the top left.

You can use your own vocabulary lists or find lists made by other members. Hope you like it as well as we do!
    joannc.lugo likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

randm0607 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi there. This isn't a website, but in my opinion, "Sequential Spelling" by AVKO is one of the best (if not *the* best) spelling programs out there. The book isn't expensive at all, you don't have to buy the student book (we just write our daily words in a 25-cent spiral notebook), and the method it uses to teach spelling is much better than most conventional spelling programs. Basically, you have a spelling "quiz" every day, but you correct each word immediately after it is attempted by the student. Vocabulary practice can be incorporated, and you'll go through thousands of words over the next several years. I've been using it all year myself with a 5th and 3rd grader together on the same level, and we've had so much more success than previously. Their spelling in their individual writing exercises has improved a thousand times! I'll get off my soapbox now, I just can't praise Sequential Spelling enough!
    joannc.lugo likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

A little added information for you, since you mentioned Sequential Spelling . . . all of the Sequential Spelling lists are on the Spelling City Site that I mentioned. Here is the Sequential Spelling info on Spelling City.
    joannc.lugo likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

joannc.lugo is offline Junior Member

Thank you, everyone!

schumacherkristin is offline Junior Member

I use Discoveryk12 for my 8th graders spelling words. Each week focuses on one set of vocabulary words. Mon write the definition of each word, Tues write each word in alphabetical order, Wed write each word in a sentence, Thurs write each word in cursive and Fri is a spelling test for that weeks set of words.

It's worked well for us in the area of vocabulary.

Vocabulary.com is really terrific! You can even find lists within it- like we are reading Harry Potter books this year and there are lists within it specific to those books. And you can easily monitor time on the site and success. Plus the point system gives them lots of points even if they aren't amazing at it Great for my 12 year old