Assignment Help

Thread: Assignment Help

RobinSJ is offline Junior Member

Default Assignment Help

Afternoon, I've generated an assignment sheet, but I am not sure how what to do next? Does my child mark the assignments as she completes them, or do I?

The eighth grade science program had vocabulary words on the first lesson , how do the children learn these? Do we write them down? Is their a program for them? Do I figure something out myself? Are those words not being used after that lesson? Should I be a step ahead of the program and put the words into my own vocab program?

What is the difference between activity planner and assignment planner?

When are their games involved and do I implement them?

I'm a bit overwhelmed but rolling with the punches here.

I have noticed that the site gets bogged down quickly if you open or shut things to frequently.

If anyone has a moment in their day to help me out I appreciate it. Thanks, RobinSJ

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions

I've never actually used the assignment/activity planner and the reason why is that my daughter has ADHD and a sleep disorder, so planning more than a day at a time is just a waste of time on my part! I have a general idea of where we need to end up, and when I want us to end up there and in between the beginning and the end we are pretty fluid. That probably doesn't help you, so let me just say that the assignment/activity planner is a tool for you to help plan how much needs to be accomplished per day to meet the length of school year you have planned. If you want your child to check off the assignments as completed that would work, if you would prefer to check behind her and mark the assignment off, that is fine too. Remember that your student will generally follow from circle to circle (activity to activity) as indicated by the blinking arrow.

As for the vocabulary, some students get enough review within the activities that they know the words by the time they get to the quiz. If your student needs more help on the vocabulary words, you might get her to write them out. I think I remember you saying that you are a Spelling City member, so maybe let your student go and enter words over there into some of the exercises. My daughter always finds it more interesting to "play" with the words by crossword puzzles, hangman, find a word puzzles than to simply write out and review lists of words.

There are two types of games that I can think of. The first are the ones called "loading games". These are non-scored activities that are intended to keep the student occupied while lessons are loading. They are not recorded, and incorrect answers do not count against the student. The other games are found on the "playground". Through the parent login you can set how long your student must do "school" before they are allowed on the playground, and also how long your child can stay on the playground before returning to school. Both types of games are optional.

I hope this helps. I know that this all feels a bit overwhelming as you are getting started. I have to tell you that each family, even each student within a family will be different and what works for one might not work for another. My best friend homeschools her 15 and 12 year olds and the only thing her homeschool and my homeschool have in common is that our kids don't get on buses and go to a brick and mortar school!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

RobinSJ is offline Junior Member

Linda, this has helped termendously.

I have a child who is very easily distracted, and one that focuses well..

This info has helped me termendously!!

The only thing I've not seen is "loading games", how do I or the kids locate them?

I think I'll print the planner just for me, it seems a bit overwhelming for the kids at this point.

Now to figure out why their isn't any eigth grade social studies. Thanks so much Linda.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Robin,

I'm pretty sure I answered the question about the social studies in your other thread. I'm so glad this information was helpful to you! Loading games usually happen before math lessons. There may be a few in language arts, but the ones I remember most are in the math section. They really are "time fillers" like making a figure jump up and down to capture fractions of equal value like 1/2. 2/4. 3/6, and decimals like .50. There are also some matching games, where you match the fraction to the equivalent decimal. I seem to remember a couple of hang-man type but I can't remember if they are math words, or language arts.

Your kids will run across them sooner or later, remember they are just for fun!

Make sure you let us know how things are going ok?
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!