Compass Writer

Thread: Compass Writer

triner1114 is offline Junior Member

Default Compass Writer

Does Compass Writer delete work after a certain amount of time? I am trying to find some things from last spring that my daughter wrote and there is no writing of hers, only the instructions. I'm actually going to cancel her account but was hoping to print some of her writing out first. If it's not deleted, could someone tell me how to find it?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Look at the lower, right of one of her pages of work. You might see some small numerals. These are page numbers. If the student has copied the instructions into her work (which is recommended), then her actual work will begin on page 2. Click the numerals to navigate between pages of the assignment.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yes, I've looked beyond the first page. Her work is not there. Is it your understanding that the work never gets deleted?

Blog Entries

Oh, boy, the first time we would say something "never" happens is when it would happen! When dealing with technology, anything can happen.

The completed projects should remain in Odyssey Writer as long as the account is active. We always suggest that parents print them and also print a weekly report . . . just in case something unexpected happens. But it's no more likely to happen with Time4Learning than with anything online.

Were you able to find them shortly after she did them? If not, then I'm wondering if she knew that she needed to click "Hand In" and choose a fictitious teacher to hand the assignment in to? That causes the assignment to be saved and also to appear on her reports as a link. When you check her reports and see a link to an Odyssey Writer assignment instead of a grade, you click the link to view and print the assignment. We recommend that parents do this daily . . . but at least weekly, so the student has regular parental feedback on their writing.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default Re: Compass Writer

Yes, I checked them as she did them last spring. They were there then, they are not there now. I checked these forums last spring to make sure we were doing everything right, and my daughters would still lose work on a weekly basis. Sometimes they would lose it in the middle of working on it if they happened to click the wrong button at the wrong time, or if they left the computer for some reason and got logged out. We ended up using outside programs (Word etc) and that was a lot less frustrating. So I have those assignments. But the work she did before we switched is not on T4L. Even if it was there, I'd have to go back into EVERY lesson and try to find a writing assignment because I can only view work from the last month in the section where I go to submit grades and feedback. It's hard to believe that T4L expects us to print things out daily. Now I'm wondering if we should just cancel both accounts. I had hoped T4L was keeping track of my older daughter's work for transcripts, but now I see that I can't view everything she has done after a certain amount of time, unless we are printing things out constantly. And I don't think I want to continue with a program that expects me to do that.

Blog Entries

It sounds like you have been viewing things under the Recent Work tab (which shows ALL program access for a maximum of one month) instead of under the Reports tab (which shows only COMPLETED work, indefinitely).

When you access reports from your parent login, it defaults to the Recent Work tab. You need to click on the actual Reports tab to see more than a month.

Time4Learning encourages parents to print a weekly report, sort of like "insurance". You don't expect to need it, but just in case . . .

Hope this helps. Whether you continue you membership or not, we'd love to know that you successfully printed these writing assignments.

Thanks for your response. It turns out, the easiest way to get her writing was to go into one of her lessons that used Compass Writer and look at her saved files. When I went into the Reports tab, the names of the files were there but it didn't allow me to click on them. I have printed her work and cancelled her account. The jury is still out on her older sister's account, we'll see how much we use it this year. Thank you for your help.

Blog Entries

It's good to know you were able to locate these assignments! Whew!

I'm thinking she might have just saved them instead of completing the "Hand In" process, but at least they weren't lost.

Thanks so much for coming back to let us know how this turned out.