Considering the switch to T4L & need info!
    Stacy Siegel Sentivan is offline Junior Member

Default Considering the switch to T4L & need info!

Hi!

I am brand new to this forum and I am winding down on our first year of homeschooling my 2 children. (9th Grade & 7th Grade) Unfortunately, the online curriculum that we chose last July is just not working out for us, as they have changed the curriculum twice since we started! Everything that we originally liked about the program has changed significantly or gone away completely. We have worked hard to try to adjust to the changes, but it is just not working out for us. We are seriously considering making the switch to T4L.

I would love to get some feedback on a few questions that I have, from parents of kids that are already using T4L. I understand that every student is different, but that will help give me a better understanding of how the program works. I am posting this on a few different forums because I would like to get feedback from parents on both the high school and middle school levels. Thanks so much in advance!

* Please include the grade that your student is in.

1. How much time does your student spend doing their school work on T4L, each day?

2. Do you use T4L as their only curriculum, or do you use it to supplement something else?

3. Is your student involved in extra-curricular activities? If so, do they find the work load to be too much, just right or not challenging enough?

4. Does your student have any special needs? If so, do you find T4L a good fit? Why or why not?

5. Does your student have experience with any other online curriculum's? How do you feel that T4L compares to other online curriculum's?

Thanks again! I really appreciate any feedback!!!

Stacy

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Stacy,
    Wow, lots of interesting questions! I can only answer for my own child, know that each family who uses T4L has their own reasons why it works for them. My disclaimer is that this is what our school and extra-curricular look like right now (this month or so) but 3 months ago it looked different and I expect it will change again as she begins high school in earnest.

* Please include the grade that your student is in. My daughter is finishing 8th grade and beginning 9th grade courses. We homeschool year round so our year runs differently than a traditional school year.

1. How much time does your student spend doing their school work on T4L, each day?This varies from day to day. We have tried the idea of doing a bit of each subject each day, however, my daughter is ADHD/Gifted and has a sleep disorder. She is also a budding pianist and practices roughly 6 hours a day on the piano or organ. All of that being said, we have changed how she does school to accomodate that. She will do about a week's worth of lessons in a subject in one day, OR she will do about half a week's worth over 2 days. The amount of time she spends depends on the subject. Overall, I would say that she does 3-5 hours of schooling a day, not all of that is T4L.

2. Do you use T4L as their only curriculum, or do you use it to supplement something else? We use T4L as our core curriculum. She is taking a Time4Writing course right now, we use an outside foreign language curriculum, as well as a history survey course that we pulled together. She has also started reading the Conceptual Physics text book, and Livestock and Companion Animals as electives.

3. Is your student involved in extra-curricular activities? If so, do they find the work load to be too much, just right or not challenging enough? My daughter currently has piano lessons, horseriding lessons and horse shows, guitar lessons, and concert choir. In addition she generally plays organ for the church service about twice a month. Yes, sometimes with all of that school does get overwhelming. Like I said, we homeschool year round, so sometimes we have really busy times with outside activities (end of year recitals and concerts, or Christmas holidays) and when that happens we ease off on school. During the slow periods for extra-curriculars we work much harder on academics.

4. Does your student have any special needs? If so, do you find T4L a good fit? Why or why not? ADHD/Gifted, and sleep disorder. Yes, T4L is a great fit because it allows her to move at her own pace, sometimes that is speeding through really fast, and sometimes she is really slow. She has access to a year above and a year below the grade she is registered for so she can move through the material as she needs to, even if that means dropping back a grade for a while.

5. Does your student have experience with any other online curriculum's? How do you feel that T4L compares to other online curriculum's? No, T4L has been a good fit for over 7 years now, and we plan on continuing.

I hope others will chime in and tell how T4L works in their home!
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 05-22-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Stacy Siegel Sentivan is offline Junior Member

Hi Linda!

Awesome! Thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions! I appreciate it! I totally understand what you mean about your schedule changing. That happens with us, as well. It helps me to see how other homeschool families work their days. My kids both have a type of Muscular Dystrophy, ADHD & a processing speed learning disability. My son (15) also has Asperger's Syndrome, so we have a lot on our plates. I need to find a good online curriculum, that they will enjoy. Like I said in my original post, the curriculum that we have been using this year has changed completely (twice), which has caused major issues for my kids. I knew that there would be ups and downs during our first year of homeschooling, but I honestly feel like my kids are a year behind now, due to all of the changes that they had to deal with. I am hoping that T4L will be much more stable & user-friendly for my kids.

If you or anyone else have any other comments or information about T4L that would help ease my worries, I'd love to hear them! Thanks so much!

Stacy

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Stacy,
    I want to point you toward the Special Needs Forum. There are a lot of people over there that have experience with special needs education. No need to re-invent the wheel if someone over there already has a suggestion, right?!

Don't worry too much about being behind. I've noticed that sometimes we are almost 2 years behind, and then all of a sudden we seem to catch right up, even zoom ahead at times. Right now we are just about where we should be, and I plan to get us caught up completely before August/Sept.

I hope you will give T4L a try over the summer and see how it works for you and your family. I hope others will chime in on this and answer your questions also. Let us know how things are going!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

hi Stacy. I just wanted to let you know that I am posting this question to our facebook page so you can get a few more answers to it.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

jonesamy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy Siegel Sentivan View Post
    Hi!

I am brand new to this forum and I am winding down on our first year of homeschooling my 2 children. (9th Grade & 7th Grade) Unfortunately, the online curriculum that we chose last July is just not working out for us, as they have changed the curriculum twice since we started! Everything that we originally liked about the program has changed significantly or gone away completely. We have worked hard to try to adjust to the changes, but it is just not working out for us. We are seriously considering making the switch to T4L.

I would love to get some feedback on a few questions that I have, from parents of kids that are already using T4L. I understand that every student is different, but that will help give me a better understanding of how the program works. I am posting this on a few different forums because I would like to get feedback from parents on both the high school and middle school levels. Thanks so much in advance!

* Please include the grade that your student is in.

1. How much time does your student spend doing their school work on T4L, each day?

2. Do you use T4L as their only curriculum, or do you use it to supplement something else?

3. Is your student involved in extra-curricular activities? If so, do they find the work load to be too much, just right or not challenging enough?

4. Does your student have any special needs? If so, do you find T4L a good fit? Why or why not?

5. Does your student have experience with any other online curriculum's? How do you feel that T4L compares to other online curriculum's?

Thanks again! I really appreciate any feedback!!!

Stacy
    Hi Stacy,
    We are changing from public school and then an online school but just was not working out last year. My daughter is 13 and supposed to be in the 8th grade but because she did not take the state tests here she did not pass. She took language arts and science and passed with high scores. So we are going to do a catch up to be able to move to 8th grade level.. We had tried time4learning many years ago with my son and he has already graduated. I would love to know how things go. Thanks Amy