dif grade level in math

Question dif grade level in math

Hi Parents

I've been using this site and a few others to homeschool my son for 3 years now. He's doing much better than he was doing in school but he is a grade level behind in math. I think it's ok, he's going at his own pace and I consider that to be one of the benefits of homeschooling. He's in the 5th grade but I kept his math at 4th grade level. He just recently notice and feels a bit down about it. Does anyone else use this method with their child? I much rather he understands, then move forward instead of rushing him.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Most of my kids have lagged a bit "behind" in math (if there is such a thing as "behind"), while excelling in language. All of them were ready for college at age 16. Their math test scores on their admission tests weren't outstanding, but they scored at college level math. I think middle school is a great time to "catch up", as students usually are familiar with the basics and most middle school lessons are designed to expand on what they already know. That gives us time to concentrate on areas where they need a little more practice.

Our goals as homeschooling parents might be a little different than the goals of a traditionally structured school. I absolutely agree with you that understanding is more important than just checking off lessons as having been "presented".

At one time, when two of my kids were around nine and ten, we stopped all math entirely and concentrated solely on having them memorize their multiplication facts. We had come to a point where they just couldn't reasonably move on until they knew all those facts, because it's so grueling to figure long division and understand things like equivalent fractions or reducing fractions when you also have to calculate every simple multiplication fact used in the process.

Our focus on multiplication facts lasted almost an entire school year, but they were able to get through almost two years' worth of math the following year.

I've also done strange things like giving a daughter who was struggling with long division ONE long division problem each day to do.

I started out not telling my kids that the levels stood for what grade they were in. I just started them in the level I felt was best for them in each subject (a little below, actually), and when they were ready to move up, they felt they had accomplished something. So my fifth grader who was doing level three math and level seven language arts felt accomplished when she moved up to level four math.

Hopefully, others will come along and share what they do. It is very common for kids to work at different grade levels in each subject.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!