Difficult 8th grade LA additions?!
    reb621 is offline Member

Thumbs down Difficult 8th grade LA additions?!

I'm at a loss. My 14-yr-old is a tad delayed in grammar and writing (structure, using more complex sentences), though she reads AT grade level (8th).

I decided to have her do the lessons this Fall that were added to 8th grade LA over the summer, but she is really struggling with them. Last year (without these extra lessons), she finished 8th grade LA with an A-. This year (just grading the additions and not averaging them w/last year's 8th LA) she is averaging 66% and that's even WITH my help on some of them!

For example, her LA lesson today was "Connecting Ideas and Concluding Arguments." Sounds simple, but with my help, she scored 3/5 on the activity quiz. That's a 60%...and I have a Master's degree!!!

I find the lessons too vague and the questions too tricky and misleading. My child finds the lessons difficult and the quizzes "ridiculously hard," as if there was a leap of several grade levels from the former 8th grade LA to these additional lessons.

Are other kids struggling with them? If so, what are you doing to help? I worry that having her complete all of these additional lessons would be useless because she doesn't understand them even with me trying to clarify and ask her questions while we pause the lessons. Will she be prepared for 9th grade English if we just blow off these extras altogether??? Is there a supplement that would teach the same concepts, but in a way a struggling child would better understand?

Totally open to suggestions here. THanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. You're always free to skip any lessons. Parents who started without the new material often decide to just continue on that way. In fact, the lesson plans within your parent login are presented both with and without the new material.

My own kids finished T4L's eighth grade language arts before the new additions and had no difficulty with the high school material. High school language arts on T4L actually teaches some of those advanced concepts, but the presentation might be a better fit for your student. They are taught via video teacher and little animations.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

reb621 is offline Member

Ah, good to know (about the difference in ways lessons are presented in 9th grade). May be easier for her.

Thanks!