First week into time4 learning 8grader
    owens.sabrina is offline Junior Member

Default First week into time4 learning 8grader

Needing help with why it's not 8 grade social studies & how many sciences does he need ?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Sabrina. Middle school students can choose any of the middle school science courses (life science, physical science, etc.). Each course is designed to last a traditional school year (except The Nature of Science which is designed as a supplement). Even in public schools, middle school students may be required to take, for example, two science courses during all of their middle school years . . . but they get to choose which science courses they want.

Time4Learning provides a complete math and language arts curriculum, with science and social studies available at most levels as a free bonus. Eighth graders who have not done the "seventh grade" social studies usually use it in eighth grade. Since your child has already done T4L seventh grade social studies, I would look at what fifth or sixth grade social studies covers and choose the level that includes many things he has not yet mastered. With social studies, the difference is in content . . . not in difficulty. Since there are no social studies standards, students all study something different in social studies . . . even in traditional schools. The topic is so broad that no child could master every social studies topic in only twelve years of school, so as long as your student is studying something social-studies-related that he doesn't already know, he's fine.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

owens.sabrina is offline Junior Member

So having him do all four science is to much you think ? Thanks for the info i'm very grateful because I feel so lost at this point some what ......and I don't want him to miss out or fall behind.....it seems it's taking some time to get into the swing of things and I keep reading up on everything from the laws ,test etc......

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

My usual answer is that you and your student decide what's "the right amount" of work . . . but, really, doing four one-year science courses in one school year is probably too much for anyone. Each course has been designed to last one school year.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!