Frustrated

Thread: Frustrated

HsMomma2four is offline Junior Member

Default Frustrated

I don't know if I've set it up wrong or what. My son is in 4th grade and we just started using this program on Monday of this week. Last year we used Monarch, which we liked but I didn't agree with some of it's teachings so I wanted to try T4L this year. Last year my son averaged 3-4 hours of school work a day. This week so far he's been done in under an hour and he's not doing very well on the quizzes/assignments. He's getting 40s-70s. Like today he had all of his social studies (6 activities to check off including 2 quizzes) and 1 lesson in Math (so 3 activities to check off including 1 quiz). I don't know if it's not holding his attention or what is going on. He's getting so frustrated and upset. I feel like there should be more things for him to do. I'm printing off the worksheets for him to do. Did I set it up wrong? I put in the start date as 7 Sept and end date as 3 June. Should he be getting more work on there?

tadamom is offline Junior Member Newbie

How many subjects is he doing a day? If he is doing all subjects each day, 1-2 activities each, he'll probably be done in a few hours. When you set up the schedule, you can choose which day of the week he'll work on each activity/lesson/quiz. For my kids, they look for what they have to complete for Monday, for example, and they do all the activities listed for Monday for each subject. Hope that helps.

HsMomma2four is offline Junior Member

tadamom, That is exactly what we are doing. Like today he did all of LA for the week (4 activities) and half of Social Studies (3 activities) (we only do school 4 days because we have Co-op 1 day a week) and he was done in an hour. With him doing it like this he has about 7-8 activities a day. Even if we set it up to do a couple from each class each day he would only average 7.5 activities a day when spread out across 4 days. It just doesn't seem like much.

Kaelorian is offline Junior Member

Hi, just wanted to pitch in our experience. My 2 daughters (12,10) have been using Time4learning for two years now. Previous to this, they were using WAVA (K12's online school). With K12 and extra stuff I added in, it took them more than 12 hours a day to complete. It was miserable. Now each girl takes about 2-3 hours and I supplement extra subjects, totaling under 5 hours a day. I had to change my mindset that less was more. It was incredibly hard for me coming from boxes and boxes of texts books and materials that K12 provided. Then go to a seemingly "basic" online school. I've learned that they don't need to do grunt work; 100 math problems on a paper to understand. As long as they understand the work, and can complete it, that is all that is needed. Like their father, they have always been independent learners and needed minimal help in these later years. So this makes Time4learning perfect for us.
    Now moving on to this year. My 9 year old niece has come to live with us and we have started her on Time4Learning. She is not doing well with it. The difference is that she is not an independently "hearing or watching" learner. So she often skips through the lessons, then guesses on the quizzes until it says 'correct'. She does not like to read on a screen (especially when that is all there is for Social Studies and Science) She does so much better with one on one teaching and help. The "standard" way. She does think some of the Math and LA lessons are funny, so she enjoys those, but she doesn't take in what they are trying to convey. So then she gets frustrated to tears and that is no way to learn With my niece, I have to literally sit next to her the entire time and explain things in a different way for her to understand. She's a bright girl, this is just not her learning style. For my two daughters, they love Time4learning and so do I. For my niece, we'll probably have to start looking for another curriculum soon that fits her better. If you do choose to stay, I'd advise supplementing or using the spare time to enrich any other interests he may have. Spend the time on art or music. We supplement history, writing, science, music and art. It sounds like a lot, but we don't complete each supplement every day. It still only comes out to about five hours, sometimes six. It's hard, but remember, less is more. No need to fill in the day with busy work if they already understand. Good luck with your son, love all the great moms out there searching for the best for their children <3

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, HSMomma. Monarch aggressively tries to keep the student busy. One of the things I like about T4L (and homeschooling in general) is that it is efficient! Please read this article: How Long is a Homeschool Day?

If he is finishing very quickly and not getting good scores, he probably needs to slow down. I allow my kids to take notes and use them on their quizzes and tests. Note taking is a valuable skill and, since they have to think about the lesson to decide what is important enough to write down, they usually retain what they have learned better. I'm not interested in them remembering something just long enough to "pass" a test, so I don't have a problem with using the quizzes and tests as additional learning opportunities instead of assessments.

If he's already struggling, I don't think adding more work would help. I'd have him slow down on the work he is already doing. I allow my kids to take notes, but then I expect them to get VERY high scores on the quizzes or tests.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

jlm1611 is offline Junior Member

Look at how long he is spending per lesson. My child would get done in an hour and fail quizzes. Then I looked at the duration he was spending per lesson.. 38 seconds, 45 seconds.. seriously soooooooo I made him go back and start over. He hates to read those long social studies and science units so I downloaded free natural reader that reads the lessons to him while he reads along. That stopped this being done in 38 seconds nonsense. He still does not do great on quizzes but is learning to take notes and starting to improve. Hope this helps.