Frustrated with 7th grade math. What do you do?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By jpenn

Thread: Frustrated with 7th grade math. What do you do?

Camp Family is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Frustrated with 7th grade math. What do you do?

I am irritated and frustrated with 7th grade math so far.
    While my 5th grader has plenty of worksheets to help in math, my 7th grader does not. I feel like a lot of the 7th grade math should have options for printable worksheets.
    Especially considering that T4L blows right through it and then is off to a different topic.
    Right now my daughter is doing Algebraic equations and simplifying.
    Not a single worksheet to give her extra practice.
    Not only that, but going through the learning part with her has even MY head spinning. I do appreciate the pause button, but why does it go through it so fast? And why is there is no option for MORE help/learning if you don't understand it the way it is explained in the *very* short practice learning session (which is often vague and doesn't explain completely how it is to be done)?
    What do other parents here do? I feel like we shouldn't have to resort to visiting other websites to teach our children what THIS site is suppose to be teaching them.
    Up until recently, my daughter was eager, happy, doing great and making excellent grades and progress.
    Not so much anymore.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! The seventh grade math program is fairly new, and there are a lot of things I love about it. Math isn't my own kids' strong subject, though, so I know what you mean about needing extra practice.

Fortunately, someone had the foresight to not do away with the old math program altogether. It was bundled up and placed at the end of the new program, in Chapter 15, called "Practice". This chapter isn't intended to be part of the seventh grade math program. It's intended to be used when extra practice is necessary. All the worksheets are present, so I'm able to find an extra lesson or two and some worksheets to go along with any lessons my kids are struggling with.

I hope this helps. My kids love T4L math, but they definitely benefit from pulling in pieces of the old program on occasion.
    MamaToHerRoo and DanaSAHM like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

4mylynn is offline Junior Member

I know how you feel..I am fairly new to homeschooling my daughter.We started with 7th grade math in T4L,and have recently moved up to the 8th grade level,but even though my daughter does well with the video lesson format in science,LA,and social studies,she finds the math confusing and WAY too fast! math has never been her strength,and through trial and error,we have decided that for math,at least,she would be better off with a textbook and an accompanying workbook.We are trying Saxon Math course 3 for this to supplement the T4L. She found that the speed at which T4L covered the material,she couldn't grasp it. Returning to the lesson and listening over and over just wasn't working either. I think a textbook,where she can read the lesson at her own slow pace and not have a voice talking back at her, which makes her feel rushed ,might be the answer.I did purchase the teacher's manual,but may be looking at hiring a math tutor if she continues to struggle. This is nothing against T4L,just simply finding out what my daughter's individual learning style is,and adjusting curriculum as needed. Amy

AH HA! I think that will help a lot and wish I knew that from the beginning! Thanks so much Kelly!
    I am very weak in math and my daughter is very good at it. So it is frustrating when there is something that she feels wasn't explained well enough for her to learn it, and I feel like I need a tutor for myself just so I can help her!
    Going to go look through chapter 15 now

I am glad to know my daughter isn't the only one who feels that the math teaching goes way too fast. I do like T4L (although I still think saying something is a complete curriculum should include Social Studies and Science for that grade level..she is doing a different science with a book) and so far she enjoys the rest of it.
    It is hard to see your child go from loving math and being very good at it to struggling when there just needs to be MORE instruction on it in a slower fashion. Thanks for your response Amy.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

My daughter is having fits with the seventh grade math. We have been at it for more than a year. I don't know if it is harder or what! I just wanted to comment on the science. There are middle school science courses through Time4Learning even when the scope and sequence look like there is not. This is a pretty recent addition and my daughter likes the middle school science better than repeating the old 6th grade science with extra work. As for the social studies we have decided to go outside the T4L social studies offerings. This is not against T4L but my daughter just !hates social studies and between stalling out in math and stalling out in social studies we were kind of standing still! We have found that doing a unit study type of thing where we study the art, music, literature, history, food, etc from a particular time in history and see what the other parts of the world are doing at that point in time has been helpful...sort of like history immersion
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

>>>I do like T4L (although I still think saying something is a complete curriculum should include Social Studies and Science for that grade level.<<<

Time4Learning doesn't state is a "complete curriculum" it says they offer Language Arts and Math with Social Studies and Science being offered as a Bonus in most grades, although the middle school science has just been updated and has great new offerings. So, I would say it should be considered as part of the main curriculum now.

Maybe the social studies will be updated in the future.
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie