Has anyone else started their kids on earlier grades?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bellan123

Thread: Has anyone else started their kids on earlier grades?

vinnys_mom is offline Junior Member

Question Has anyone else started their kids on earlier grades?

Hi,

Our son is 10 (almost 11). He was the youngest kid in his 5th grade class because he was bumped up a grade due to a lack of seats back in kindergarten. We pulled him out of school in April after unresolved long term bullying. Can't beat them... leave them.

Because we know our son missed some of the foundations in the earlier grades when the bullying started, in addition to already having difficulty with reading comprehension we started him back on the Kindergarten program. He excelled at the math, but required more time on the language arts. His struggle in that subject is very apparent.

I have gotten some slack from others who think we should still be teaching him 5th and 6th grade curriculum, but I just can't justify that until his foundations are solid. He completed Kindergarten in 41 days and is beginning the 1st grade program today.

Has anyone else done this with their kids? How did it work out?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi,
    I've not heard of anyone starting so far back, but I'm sure some have. You did not mention whether your son had learning challenges that would make the K/1st grade course work more appropriate for him than his age would indicate.
    My two concerns are that he might not be comfortable being backed up so many grades (it could either make him feel bad that he is having to go back so many grades, or feel good that he is having easy success), and that the K/1st grade work might not be intellectually challenging for him.

One of my best homeschooling buddies started her son back 2-3 grades because he had some health issues that made a couple of years of school really light. She backed him up and now he is zooming through, doing about 2 grades a year. He will probably completely catch up this year. He felt odd about being 3 grades lower than he should be, but being able to zoom through really bolstered his self-esteem.

In my own homeschool, our philosophy is to let my daughter skim and move ahead, slowing for additional practice when the time comes that we find a need for a review of fundamentals. This is based on a statement she made when she was in 1st grade public school. She said she was stupid, and we asked why, and she said, "I must be stupid because they make me learn the same words over and over, and then test me on them on Fridays. If they thought I was smart they would test me on Monday and then only make me study the ones I didn't know." Since then, we have a practice of letting her "test" out of lessons by taking the quiz. If she passes with an acceptable score she moves on, if she doesn't then she must go do the lesson.

The beauty of homeschooling is that you do what you need to for your own kids, regardless of what others feel. As homeschoolers we support your choices even though they might not work for our own families. Best of luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

vinnys_mom is offline Junior Member

Hi Linda,

That is sort of what we are doing with our son. He goes through it until he gets stuck and that's what we focus on.

As far as his abilities, he has ADHD to start with. Focus is definitely not his strong suit. Other issues stem from the 4 years of bullying he has endured in public school. We finally pulled him out of the district when it was feasible for us to homeschool him and upon evaluation he had missed pretty much everything that was taught this past year (5th grade), most of last year, and a large chunk of the previous year. Thanks to "No child left behind" and minimal homework coming home and our district not "grading" homework but listing as "pass/fail/and cooperate" it was not clear how much he was also struggling academically.

We have talked about him redoing these grades in this program and that he can move through as fast or slow as he needs to. He knows he has missed a lot. His math and science skills are through the roof, but reading comprehension, and language arts skills are almost absent. Even in the kindergarten curriculum we found areas that he was just "stuck" on understanding. I'm pretty firm on foundations as none of our kids came out of public school with any sign of language arts or vocabulary foundations. It's frustrating to me as a mom to hear them ask basic questions that I was taught in early elementary grades.

Fortunately, his two closest friends know what he's been through at school and they do not give him a hard time for starting over.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad that he has understanding friends and is alright with going back. I certainly understand ADHD, my own daughter deals with the focus issues, as well as impulsiviness, on a daily basis. I'm glad that you are willing to adapt so that your son has a great chance of getting the information that he missed. I wish you the best, and if you have questions or concers, please feel free to turn to the forums for help. Also, please share your successes!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Default Starting kids on earlier grades- do what you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnys_mom View Post
    Hi,

Our son is 10 (almost 11). He was the youngest kid in his 5th grade class because he was bumped up a grade due to a lack of seats back in kindergarten. We pulled him out of school in April after unresolved long term bullying. Can't beat them... leave them.

Because we know our son missed some of the foundations in the earlier grades when the bullying started, in addition to already having difficulty with reading comprehension we started him back on the Kindergarten program. He excelled at the math, but required more time on the language arts. His struggle in that subject is very apparent.

I have gotten some slack from others who think we should still be teaching him 5th and 6th grade curriculum, but I just can't justify that until his foundations are solid. He completed Kindergarten in 41 days and is beginning the 1st grade program today.

Has anyone else done this with their kids? How did it work out?
    See comments below.

I think this is one of the gifts of homeschool. We practice this with our 13 year old . We would never move her ahead until she has mastered her current material. I feel that only sets your child up for failure in the future. Why would someone challenge their child to ninth grade material if they are still mastering eighth grade material. As long as you reach the goals you have set with your child, that's all that matters. I think some parents think it's a race but it's not. It's about your child and their needs and helping them to be successful, whatever it takes. Hang in there!
    MamaToHerRoo and vinnys_mom like this.