Help! I'm freaking out! MN state assessment tests!
    collinsmom01 is offline Junior Member

Default Help! I'm freaking out! MN state assessment tests!

Hi everyone! So I'm the one who had questions about moving to MN and the answers I got were very helpful. I did what you said and I contacted the local school district and told them we are homeschooling and they dutifully sent me the necessary paperwork to fill out showing intent to homeschool. However...now that i've sent that in, they are replying that T4L does not offer adequate assessment testing and I will have to order tests, to take and submit, from the state. I just looked them up and it looks like the minimum I'm going to have to spend on my son's test are $82.00!! What!? Not to mention the fact that I'm so confused! The letter they sent me first says "A national norm-referenced standardized achievement examination is required annually if your child/children are in a non-accredited home school and are between the ages of 7-16", then, in the same letter it says "Non-public school students are not required to take state assessments". (It's actually underlined in the letter) What does this mean? Help!?

collinsmom01 is offline Junior Member

Hi again! This is "freaking out in MN" (aka: collinsmom01) I got a call today finally from the school district and they told me that instead of all 3 tests I just have to pick one test, much cheaper. Then I just have to let them know which one I chose and that's it!! I don't even have to send them the finished test when we are done with it. If ever I decide to place my son back into public school they would use his assessment tests to figure out where he might be placed. Easy-peasy-mac-n-cheesey! I can totally do that! Thanks for allowing this mom a place to vent!!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad they got back with you and answered your questions! We are always here to listen to vents, or lend a shoulder, or pat you on the back in a success! Thanks for letting us know the results!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!