Help With Schedule
    luvalwayz4ever is offline Junior Member

Default Help With Schedule

Ok I am kind of a control freak when it comes to schedules. Is there a way to specify when we are in school and out? I want to generate a schedule but how do I account for breaks we will be taking? Or do you not take breaks? Please help me..Oh and my son will be in 7th this year.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

If you are speaking of the days or weeks you might take off during the school year I can tell you how I do it. I print a form that is available online for the calendar of the year. After checking my state laws on attendance (sometimes 180 days, or a number of hours) I mark this sheet with the days I KNOW we will be off. In my case this is the week of Thanksgiving, and the two weeks between Christmas and New Year's eve. We also take off a week in the spring, so I mark that one as well. Then I work a month at a time. When the 1st of the month comes up, I look at days we might want to take off, and mark them. We keep a schedule each day by marking if it is a school day or not. At the end of the month I take the total of the number of days. I do not do a daily schedule because my daughter makes every day a new and unique day! Sure as I plan the hours out she will be unmanageable that day and my best laid plans will be for naught! I will tell you that I would like to have total control, and check off the boxes, but my daughter's nature makes my schedules impractical. I've learned to be flexible, calculate the total number of days we need, and subtract each one we accomplish successfully. I wish you luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

thehoppers is offline Junior Member

Question State Requirements Question

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    If you are speaking of the days or weeks you might take off during the school year I can tell you how I do it. I print a form that is available online for the calendar of the year. After checking my state laws on attendance (sometimes 180 days, or a number of hours) I mark this sheet with the days I KNOW we will be off. In my case this is the week of Thanksgiving, and the two weeks between Christmas and New Year's eve. We also take off a week in the spring, so I mark that one as well. Then I work a month at a time. When the 1st of the month comes up, I look at days we might want to take off, and mark them. We keep a schedule each day by marking if it is a school day or not. At the end of the month I take the total of the number of days. I do not do a daily schedule because my daughter makes every day a new and unique day! Sure as I plan the hours out she will be unmanageable that day and my best laid plans will be for naught! I will tell you that I would like to have total control, and check off the boxes, but my daughter's nature makes my schedules impractical. I've learned to be flexible, calculate the total number of days we need, and subtract each one we accomplish successfully. I wish you luck!
    I was wondering how you find the state requirements...I tried through google and was NOT successful!o

luvalwayz4ever is offline Junior Member

This is where I found the state laws.. HSLDA | Home School Laws

SandyKC is offline Junior Member

I schedule ours by the number of required homeschool days (180 days).. Then we work day 1, day 2, day 3, etc. That way, WHEN we take a break, have a family outing, field trip, etc., we don't get our academic schedule messed up. I found that works a LOT better for us than trying to go by a calendar-based or day-of-the-week schedule. I started with those, but then we got "behind" or "off schedule." Since I'm also a control freak, I didn't like being OFF schedule!! LOL!

dakotamom is offline Member

You can also go to the Dept. of Education site for your state. There should be a homeschool link. It will give you your homeschool requirements.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Homeschool Laws & Legalities - Home School Requirements | A2Z Homeschooling Is also a great place to find legal information!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!