Home-School Schedules and Routines
    jennabee is offline Junior Member

Default Home-School Schedules and Routines

Hi everyone! I have a rising 6th and 7th grader and this will be our third year home-schooling. Things are far from perfect, but each year gets easier as we find what works for us and make adaptations along the way. I am curious what types of schedules and routines others are using for middle school kids. How many lessons each day? What lessons?
    We generally "try" to do three lessons at least four days a week, with Language Arts on Mondays & Wednesdays and Math on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Fridays are free days. They are allowed to choose one lesson from T4L and then they can choose educational activities or projects for the rest of the school day. I have bright kids, so we get in the Science and Social Studies naturally as a result of sheer curiosity, questions, experiments, Discovery, Myth Busters, and trips.
    In addition to T4L, we do three 30 minute Rosetta Stone lessons a week, lots of Youth Digital Courses for my techie engineer bound kid, and lots of art and art history for my creative little artist. We focus primarily on their strengths and interests. Oh, and I found this wonderful math program to strengthen my right brained artist's math skills, (XtraMath.com). It only takes minutes each day and it has been the most beneficial thing that I have found to reinforce math facts. I highly recommend it

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

We tend to do a bit more T4L than you do! We do alternate what courses we do on which day, and allow my daughter to spend a couple of hours instead of one hour. My daughter is taking the High School Paragraphs course at Time4Writing over the summer. She skipped 8th grade mostly, though she is trying to finish two middle school sciences by September, and will officially begin high school in the fall. I hope others will reply with how their days pan out!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

jennabee is offline Junior Member

Thanks for responding. When I say we do three lessons a day, I don't mean three stars. I was considering a lesson to be all of the stars within an activity and the quiz or test at the end, so it usually takes hours to finish their T4L lessons. I guess I was basically wondering if we are doing enough lessons in a day. Think I'll look into the summer courses too. Thanks again

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Ahh, I thought you meant 3 stars! We do not "orphan" quizzes or tests, meaning if you do the lessons leading up to them you have to complete the quiz/test, no saving it for tomorrow! Sounds like you are doing well! You might also check out Vocabulary and Spelling City, a great supplement to T4L. Have a great week!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

I calculated out a list of how many activities Jack needs to do per week, and I'm letting him decide how he wants to break it up. He can do all science one day and all social studies another, or a mixture of all studies every day. He also decided that he wants to limit his academics to 3 days a week, when Hannah has college classes, rather than trying to do work while she's underfoot. That means he needs to do more on each "school day" since he's dividing the work up into 3 days rather than 5 or 6.

Some things are still daily, though. He needs to practice his Bar Mitzvah lesson (only 2 months away!) and he needs to work on his handwriting daily. I meant to have him reading every day as well, but that didn't quite work out this week. I'm not yet sure if I'll make him do this daily or set up some kind of weekly goal. We'll get started and see how it goes.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

preacherman143 is offline Junior Member Newbie

My daughter Emily is in 8th grade we do all subjects a day 2 lessons and a quiz about an hour for each course it is around 5 hours a day than we add some art in there somewhere she has 30 min, for lunch we start about 9 in the morning and stop around 2 in the afternoon she loves it sometimes we go to the libirary and work just to be in another place instead of being at home all the time.

lisayvonne is offline Junior Member

Hi jenabee~~ We are doing almost the same way as yours except that we use beestar as supplementary materials
    Lisa