I might have messed everything up.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: I might have messed everything up.

mrslollis is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I might have messed everything up.

I have a this year, 6, 8, and 9th grader....ALL of them tested below there grade levels in math when I did the mindsprinting.com assessment. The two older have been doing time 4 learning since 6th grade, the new 6th grader, it will be his first year.

My question is how can I get them to where they need to be? I will accept responsibility for this I just need to figure out what to do now.

Also my 9th grader it said she needed help in 8th grade concepts so that's not too bad. The other two have always had problems in math so no surprise there I just need some help on what I can do to help them out.

Thank you so much for your kindness and help in advance.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

As someone who was in your shoes with one of my kids, I can tell you what I did. I started my daughter a little below the level where I thought she was working and had her do the first chapter test. She did just fine on that, so we skipped the first chapter in that level and she did the second chapter test. Again, she did well, so we skipped the second chapter and she went on to the third chapter test. She did not do so well on that one, so I had her do the lesson activities in that chapter and she tried the test again. She did much better, so she tried the fourth chapter test. She did poorly on that one, and she did poorly again even after doing the lesson activities in the fourth chapter, so we brought out the worksheets and I had her do the worksheets for that chapter. Voila! She finally did well on the fourth chapter test! We were able to proceed through several levels of math this way, with her only studying the material she actually didn't already know.

I reasoned that I wanted her to actually understand the material (even if it was technically "below grade level") before moving on. It doesn't help to just check off that the lesson was "done". It needs to be understood, too. Interestingly, once she had brushed up on some of the basics in fourth grade math, she breezed through all the tests in fifth grade and began doing very well at the sixth grade level. She was in sixth grade at the time. Since math concepts build on each other, she had apparently missed a few basic things in fourth grade that were holding her back.

I only recommend this technique for math and maybe language arts (grammar and spelling). Science and social studies are very broad subjects and the tests require a lot of memorization that the student "learns" only long enough to pass a test . . . and then they forget it. That's not how I want my kids to spend their time.

Hope this helps, or inspires you to come up with an idea suitable for your own kids.
    journey00 and machellesbrush like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

meglaulanmar is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: I might have messed everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    As someone who was in your shoes with one of my kids, I can tell you what I did. I started my daughter a little below the level where I thought she was working and had her do the first chapter test. She did just fine on that, so we skipped the first chapter in that level and she did the second chapter test. Again, she did well, so we skipped the second chapter and she went on to the third chapter test. She did not do so well on that one, so I had her do the lesson activities in that chapter and she tried the test again. She did much better, so she tried the fourth chapter test. She did poorly on that one, and she did poorly again even after doing the lesson activities in the fourth chapter, so we brought out the worksheets and I had her do the worksheets for that chapter. Voila! She finally did well on the fourth chapter test! We were able to proceed through several levels of math this way, with her only studying the material she actually didn't already know.

I reasoned that I wanted her to actually understand the material (even if it was technically "below grade level") before moving on. It doesn't help to just check off that the lesson was "done". It needs to be understood, too. Interestingly, once she had brushed up on some of the basics in fourth grade math, she breezed through all the tests in fifth grade and began doing very well at the sixth grade level. She was in sixth grade at the time. Since math concepts build on each other, she had apparently missed a few basic things in fourth grade that were holding her back.

I only recommend this technique for math and maybe language arts (grammar and spelling). Science and social studies are very broad subjects and the tests require a lot of memorization that the student "learns" only long enough to pass a test . . . and then they forget it. That's not how I want my kids to spend their time.

Hope this helps, or inspires you to come up with an idea suitable for your own kids.

Ok...now I'm confused... you recommend she does that with chapter tests in math but from everything I can see there aren't chapter tests in Math. Am I wrong?