A little advice for an 8th grader
    treesh is offline Junior Member

Default A little advice for an 8th grader

I am not new to homeschooling (I know the laws in our state) but my daughter has been in school 6th - 8th grade. She has some learning differences and working at home together was not successful any longer so I put her in an extremely small private school. It worked for her last year (8th grade), but just a week in, and I am having major reservations.

I am having her repeat 8th grade again because I just don't feel like she is ready academically for high school. There are NO good options in our area for struggling learners.

My plan is for us to move next year to an area that has a great private school that supports learning differences.

In the meantime, since she is repeating 8th grade this year, do you think Time 4 Learning can hold her over for a year?

How flexible is it for her to repeat concepts and/or lessons until she understands it? Is 8th grade very baby-ish? Or on the other hand, is it to complex that she won't understand?

What I really need is something for her to do mostly on her own since she has an issue with me teaching her. I can also hire a tutor to come in a few times a week if that would help, but I'm not sure how that would work with this program.

Can anyone give any advice?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A little advice for an 8th grader

Hi! I'm sorry for your dilemma, but it sounds like you're someone who looks at all the options and can choose what works best for your daughter, so I'm happy for her!

The eighth grade curriculum teaches concepts that are spot-on, as far as typical grade level. SOME of it is silly, such as the intro cartoons (which can be skipped by clicking the "skip intro" button). Additionally, some of the videotaped human instructors put their own personality in to their lectures, and that can get a bit silly. Some of them just speak and write on a white board. Others might crack corny jokes or wear a goofy hat. That's not all that different than teachers in public school, now that I think about it!

I wouldn't say the eighth grade curriculum is "babyish", but it does get silly at time. The thing that surprised me is how MEMORABLE that silliness makes the lesson, even if my kids roll their eyes at times. Since understanding and remembering what is taught is the whole point, we decided we would put up with the silliness. Some of it is actually pretty entertaining.

She can work at vastly different grade levels in each subject and you can change grade levels any time and as often as you wish. For example, I once had a fifth grader doing third grade math and seventh grade language arts. You can also skip around in subjects. If a student is doing well in third grade math while studying addition and subtraction, but begins to struggle once multiplication is introduced, you could move them down to second grade math for the introduction to multiplication and division, and then back up to third grade math for charts and graphs (or whatever you decide for your own student).

It's all up to the parent. Since Time4Learning is a curriculum and not an online school, you can give someone else (like a tutor) access to your parent dashboard, where an adult sets up a plan, views the students reports, finds answer keys for any of the optional worksheets they decide to use, grades writing assignments (the computer grades all of the online work, including quizzes and tests, but not writing assignments), and accesses a lot of other teaching hints and tools. You, the parent, are always responsible for following the homeschool laws in your state. Time4Learning doesn't oversee that at all.

This one-minute-video summarizes how Time4Learning works.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

treesh is offline Junior Member

Default Re: A little advice for an 8th grader

Thank you for the detailed response, Kelly. I did know they don't do any homeschool reporting, etc., and in my state, I am responsible for end of year testing. I look will deeper into it as it seems more involved than when my kids were younger (we didn't use it back then as our main curriculum).