Math work space

Thread: Math work space

monnalu is offline Member

Default Math work space

As we were working on 5th grade math this morning, in the sample questions section (student working out problem) there is a large white space that in some lessons is designated a work area. This morning, it was definitely NOT a work area as she could not work out her problem there. She felf frustrated that she had to use paper and pencil to do the calculations when there was all this space on the screen that she could have typed in. Her words, "Why do they put this white space there and not let me use it? That is just so stupid!" This girl has really strong opinions. This is not a real problem; I just thought it was funny that she wanted to argue with the program.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

I can relate. One of my kids has strong opinions, too. And that can be a good thing, since we don't want them to simply 'go with the crowd', but to ask questions and be discerning in life matters.
    I just wanted to comment to say my daughter doesn't like having to solve problems on a scrap piece of paper, either. A lot of parents like to see that their student is working through the problem and it helps them see where they've made the mistake if they can see the work. But what my daughter uses instead of paper is a dry erase board. She prefers it to paper or even doing it on a screen. Just my 2 cents.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

monnalu is offline Member

Thanks, lovehmschlg. We use dry erase for some writing, don't know why I couldn't translate that into working with math. Sometimes we just have tunnel vision. That is why this forum is so great.