Need advice please
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need advice please

DonnaG is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Need advice please

Help! I'm drowning! My son is 13, ADHD and recently diagnosed with ODD, mild autism and mild Aspergers. He was in 7th grade at the beginning of the year when he was failing school, giving up on school and then found out he was being bullied. I pulled him from school in mid February and started trying to homeschool through TFL. I knew NOTHING about homeschool, period, and still feel like I'm on a sinking ship even as I learn. I am self-employed at home and have started turning away work so that I can fully concentrate on my son's education. I need advice from others who have special needs children as to what learning activities you have your child do as well as how you do it. I'm ADD too and just need some instructions that say, "Day 1 - here's the activities and lessons that he does", then "Day 2 - here's the activities that he does", etc. and then how to grade and assess him. I would welcome any suggestions please. Thank you

4mylynn is offline Junior Member

Hi. I have been where you are,and sometimes still feel overwhelmed!With the exception of my child not being special needs,our stories are very similar. I,too,pulled my 7th grader out of public school in March due to bullying and failing grades. I,too,am self employed from home. Seems like the perfect scenario to homeschool,right? It would be if my child were more self motivated,which she isn't. So I find that like you,I am turning away work,which I can't really afford to do,to keep my daughter moving with school work.As far as what she gets done,I use the T4L lesson plans and activity scheduler to tell me. She is working on the 8th grade curriculum,so I simply picked a start date for the year,an end date in June,and the computer broke all her subjects down into individual weeks,which I print out every Monday and have her finish at her own pace by Sunday.Some days she does more work,some days less,sometimes works in the morning,other times at night.I rely on T4L for her core subjects and am just starting to relax enough to supplement with more creativity. The program does most of the grading for you.(in all reality,grades are just a guide now to see how much your child is grasping. Have him repeat a lesson until he scores a 70 or higher,then move on). I also feel lost still,so I picked up the book"Homeschooling The Teen Years" by Cafi Cohen.It's invaluable!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Donna, hi and welcome to T4L. I want to first point you at two other forums where you might find useful information. The Special Needs Forum and the Working Parent forums. These parents have "been there/done that" and there is no reason for you to have to re-invent the wheel if they could offer you some help. My daughter is an 8th grader ADHD and probably ODD as well, though they haven't made that as an official diagnosis at this point. I remember being where you are, and I remember it being terrifying though we were in the middle of 1st grade when I pulled her from school not 7th! I can recommend that you look for a local homeschool support group. This will not only provide you with a great chance to meet others who are familiar with your state's legal requirements for homeschooling, but also peers for your son. I believe a local group to go on field trips with, etc, is really a key to successful homeschooling, at least it was for me. Know that we are here to try to help you in any way we can. I would also refer you to the answer that I posted to 4mylynn. I'm not sure if that advice would help you. Let us know how things are going!
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 10-30-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: adding links
    teachforgood likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

4mylynn, great suggestions! I just wanted to say that I require an 80 for passing, or if my daughter opts to skip the lesson and just do the quiz she must make a 90. The reason is that I don't want her not doing the lessons and then "lucky guessing" her way to an 80. The extra 10 points for a quiz-only means she really needs to have a firm grasp on the subject. Of course, it is up to you what you require of your child, isn't that flexibility great! My daughter's neurologist had a great suggestion at our appointment today. He said, "This is the age when they need independence but are not necessarily sure what to do with it if you give it. You are not necessarily ready for them to have it, so you tend to hold on a bit. Try getting around the defiance by making large goals (like you said about giving the weeks worth of lessons, not a days worth) and let them figure out how to get there. It both allows you to let go in a controlled manner, and allows them to try out their independence within a safe environment." It kind of opened my eyes up a bit and your suggestions really added to that. Thanks and let us know if you have any questions! I would also like to refer you to the Working Parents Forum. they might have some suggestions for you there!
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 10-30-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    teachforgood likes this.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by 4mylynn View Post
    Hi. I have been where you are,and sometimes still feel overwhelmed!With the exception of my child not being special needs,our stories are very similar. I,too,pulled my 7th grader out of public school in March due to bullying and failing grades. I,too,am self employed from home. Seems like the perfect scenario to homeschool,right? It would be if my child were more self motivated,which she isn't. So I find that like you,I am turning away work,which I can't really afford to do,to keep my daughter moving with school work.As far as what she gets done,I use the T4L lesson plans and activity scheduler to tell me. She is working on the 8th grade curriculum,so I simply picked a start date for the year,an end date in June,and the computer broke all her subjects down into individual weeks,which I print out every Monday and have her finish at her own pace by Sunday.Some days she does more work,some days less,sometimes works in the morning,other times at night.I rely on T4L for her core subjects and am just starting to relax enough to supplement with more creativity. The program does most of the grading for you.(in all reality,grades are just a guide now to see how much your child is grasping. Have him repeat a lesson until he scores a 70 or higher,then move on). I also feel lost still,so I picked up the book"Homeschooling The Teen Years" by Cafi Cohen.It's invaluable!
    Thank you so much for your reply Cafi. It feels so much better knowing that I'm not alone in this journey and have some feedback. I have been using the T4L activity scheduler to schedule his work but wanted to make sure if I was on the right track in doing so and according to your reply, it sounds like I am. That makes me breathe easier! I will have to find the book that you suggested!

Linda - Thank you for the information! I will definitely check into the other forums you recommended. Gosh, between yours and Cafi's replies and knowing that I'm not out here alone makes me feel better all ready! Now, I'm actually getting excited to do this!

Isn't it great that we have each other to bounce off of? Support really does make all the difference when you are homeschooling! Let us know if we can help in any other way.
    Linda

SPORTSMOM24 is offline Junior Member

our situations are similar I pulled my 6 grader this year and began homescholling due to ADHD ODD Anxitey and handwritting issues and of course bullying and the fact that the school systems has no idea how to support any of the issues. I too am ADD and trying to work too so I get frustrated. what seems to help is I plan his lessons the night or day before and I work along side of him so we are both working I stop when he needs my help .. I go over lessons 1st. Not sure if that helps
    teachforgood likes this.

Thanks for responding SportsMom! I love to hear how other families find success in homeschooling. Keep the info coming folks, you never know who it might help!
    Linda

lambertjackie472 is offline Junior Member

I wonder if my eighth grader is taking enough time because its not taking her as long as it did in school?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast