need advice on schedules!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By marshaabbey

Thread: need advice on schedules!

marshaabbey is offline Junior Member

Default need advice on schedules!

I'm wondering how many days or weeks other families are taking off every year? As I'm reading the forums, it seems most schedules are very relaxed. Ours seems to be a lot for my daughter {6th grade}, we have only been at this a month, so maybe it's just overwhelming at first. She needs to complete 18 math, 5 social studies, 6 LA ext., 9 language arts and 5 life science, per week. I have scheduled school for 180 days and 80 days off, is this too much time off?
    Last edited by marshaabbey; 11-22-2015 at 08:52 AM.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, marshaabbey! You have scheduled a traditional school year. The curriculum was designed for a traditional school year, but many parents do follow their own schedule.

I'm thinking you probably included the Practice chapter for math in your schedule. The final chapter in math is actually the ENTIRE old math program. It was bundled up and stuck in as a final chapter in the new program, just in case your student needs more math practice. If your child does the entire final chapter, they will actually be doing two math programs in one year, that cover essentially the same skills in different ways. I would generate another schedule and choose the option to leave the Practice chapter off the math schedule. That should just about cut the amount of math she needs to do in half.
    anaj likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

marshaabbey is offline Junior Member

Awesome!!! Thank you!

patyballard is offline Junior Member

Hello! I´m planning my 4th grade school year and I was wondering if the "Pratice" chapter is the same for 4th and 5th grade like you said to marshaabbey ("The final chapter in math is actually the ENTIRE old math program. It was bundled up and stuck in as a final chapter in the new program")?
    Thanks

I think there are also parts of the curriculum you might decide just to skip and not do. I've had kids in public, private and homeschooled and no one completes every chapter/part of a textbook. I admit to having to use my judgment but like for 8th grade math we focused more on the pre-algebra parts that were most similar to algebra and let a lot of the geometry things go. We'll get some geometry prep next year in the Algebra class anyway. Besides geometry is a subject that is slowly dying since there are almost no professional applications for geometry anymore- everyone uses trig or calculus or non-linear modeling for real analyses. So we are doing algebra heavy and geometry light due to my bias (and having several engineers in the family). But no kid gets every single thing in their education. I really like the practice sets for a review prior to doing end of year standardized testing- that's a good use of our time here in the month of May