New to Homeschool 4th Grade in TX

Default New to Homeschool 4th Grade in TX

Hello, I have a brilliant daughter whose "special needs" interfered with her days at school. My husband and I decided to pull her out, even though it is almost the end of the year. Does anyone have advice how to help her finish the 4th Grade level on T4L as quickly as possible? She was actually in Gifted and Talented, and we feel was extremely bored with the constant reviews and practicing for the STAAR test. This is completely new to me. I understand I have more relaxed laws on homeschooling here, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Annie

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Annie, I think it is great that you are deciding to pull to homeschool.
    One way that you can let her quickly finish T4L 4th grade is to let her only take quizzes and chapter tests. If she does well, then she know the information and can go on. If she makes a low score on a quiz then let her go back and do those lesson.

If you don't want to do that for the whole 4th grade curriculum, try to remember which things she has already covered and pick and choose what hasn't been covered yet and let her either do the lessons as normal, or let her "test through" taking quizzes and chapter tests.

Finally, remember that when you sign up for T4L you have access to the grade you sign up for, the grade above and the grade below. Changing grades if things are too easy, or too hard is very easy! Best of luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Thank you so much for the great advice, Linda! I'm sure she will be glad to know she doesn't have to sit through what she calls "easy peasy" lessons. We are excited about T4L, and she told her dad the other day that she loves homeschool more than public school. She does miss friends, but we are working to add social time to our schedules. I wish I had this option as a kid, because this is a wonderful alternative for my daughter. She struggled so much with school, not academically, but emotionally. I hated seeing her get so frustrated and angry at school, that she was sometimes not herself. I feel this is a great alternative for her now, and she can decide later if she wants to go back to public school. Thanks again for the help!

--Annie

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Annie,
    Please keep us updated on how things go! Missing friends can be difficult, but since it is getting to be summer anyway, a time when it is more difficult to stay in touch with school friends, maybe it will make it easier to pick and choose who she stays in contact with. There are lots of opportunities for homeschoolers to "socialize" and seeking out a local homeschool group will really help you with that situation. Good luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!