New to homeschooling and thinking about the end of year testing
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ruth_Lanton

Thread: New to homeschooling and thinking about the end of year testing

Ourfamilyof5 is offline Junior Member

Question New to homeschooling and thinking about the end of year testing

Hi all! We've just started home schooling (this year) our 9 year old. She would be in 4th grade this year, but she's doing mixed levels on T4L (3rd grade math to fill in gaps left by well-meaning but hurried and scattered teachers), 5th grade science, and 4th grade for most everything else. Does T4L recommend a certain standardized test to go along with their curriculum? We're looking at the CAT (now TerraNova), as well as PASS and the ITBS but I wanted to get input!

Thanks in advance!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

As far as I know there is no certain recommended standardized test. In my state standardized testing is not required and so we don't do any. My daughter began high school this year, so we are working toward taking ACT, but otherwise, we don't test. I don't know about the rules in your state regarding tests, or if you are just doing it for your own benefit. Maybe others who actually do standardized tests would chime in and make a recommendation!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Ourfamilyof5 is offline Junior Member

Thanks! Our county (assume state as well) requires proof that home schooled students are making progress. The top way to do that in their estimation is a nationally recognized test with scored results. Thus we are looking at various tests available. Thank you so much for taking the time to give some input!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Welcome! I have a homeschooling friend who uses BJU (Bob Jones) test supplies, but I have never even looked at the tests so I can't personally recommend!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

My state also requires end-of-year testing. I haven't yet decided what I'll use. I plan to research that in more detail later in the school year, and ask people in my local homeschool group for recommendations. It's been six years since I last homeschooled a child, and I've forgotten many of the details.

I definitely plan to do the minimal amount of testing that satisfies state requirements. The excessive testing in the public school (and the time wasted "teaching to the tests") was one of the reasons I pulled him out.
    MamaToHerRoo and formerptamom like this.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.