Not Mastered ?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By lac.ddclc
  • 3 Post By lac.ddclc

Thread: Not Mastered ?

step_emm is offline Junior Member

Default Not Mastered ?

My Son just started the 8th Grade T4L / he has always been in Pub. Schools / seemed here lately Pub. School was not working out anymore.........my Son has done the assignments w/ T4L / and then at the end of the quiz / says not mastered ? 1 time he made a 70 and another was a 80 / should he be on another level perhaps ? is this too hard ? thanks for your help / time

lac.ddclc is offline Member

From my understanding, if my son scores less than an 80 on any quiz, it says "not mastered" only for that particular quiz. If I think he knows the material and was simply not paying attention, I just have him take the quiz again. If it seems he didn't understand the material, then I have him review the activity again before retaking the quiz.

One of the great things about homeschooling is the parent decides how to handle each situation—unlike public school. For our homeschool, I don't want my son to move on to new material unless I'm sure he understands what has already been presented to him. He can review the activities and retake the quizzes as many times as he needs to. On the rare occasion he does need to review something, one repeat usually does the trick.
    step_emm and d_b_rodgers like this.

Thank you for responding back ! how long has your Son been doing home-school w/ T4L ? this is new to me as my Son has always been in Pub. School..........thanks for your time,

This is our first year with T4L, but Joshua has been homeschooled from the beginning, unless you count a year of Early Intervention when he was 3-4 years old.

Joshua is academically advanced, but socially awkward. Though I have never had him officially diagnosed, I can see some autistic tendencies in his behaviors and some sensory issues. When he was younger, I discussed my concerns with his pediatrician—and she fully agreed—about the possibility of public school forcing medication on him and that he would be one of those students who fall through the cracks because teachers would see him as a behavioral issue and classroom disruption rather than as a child who learns differently—he needs to be in constant motion and he is constantly humming or singing. These behaviors are NOT ADHD; they actually help him maintain focus, but I can see how they would be disruptive to a teacher trying to maintain control in a class of 20 or 30 students. I was also concerned about the possibility of bullying because of his quirks. His father was a special ed student and I was an honors student, but we both had a couple of things in common in public school...we both HATED school with a passion because we were both outcasts, and we didn't want that for our son who, we could see early on, was not going to be a good little conformist.

I wish I knew about T4L sooner. Our curriculum was very eclectic up through middle school because I didn't like any one particular curriculum for all subjects. It was also easier financially as I used a lot of free resources, but that meant I had to be more involved in the actual teaching. He flew through everything I put before him, so I realized it wasn't fair to hold him back anymore. Though he isn't going to be 14 until April, I decided to start him on high school coursework back in September. I really wanted to find something online, but it seemed all the online courses were actually private or charter schools he had to be enrolled in. I couldn't afford that. Then I stumbled onto T4L which is a curriculum, not a school, so I'm still teacher and administrator of our homeschool (which is registered with the DE DOE, as required by our state law). It seemed too good to be true, but I looked through the course material and it was everything I hoped an online curriculum would be...except for the foreign language requirement. In my search for online curriculum, I also stumbled upon Homeschool Spanish Academy to take care of that (expensive for us, but considering he speaks with a live person via Skype, it's really very reasonable). Now with T4L he can choose the order he does his coursework (he chose to start with Geometry and Chemistry for High School math and science) and he can work at his own pace, including repeating whatever he needs to repeat. I have also given him the option to do some of the Odyssey Writer assignments orally instead of written; otherwise, between English I and World History (his choice), he can have more writing assignments than there are days in the week. He doesn't write his assignments in Odyssey Writer anyway. He just hands in the prompt to mark it as complete for the purposes of T4L records and hands the written work directly in to me (they don't actually get handed in to anyone in particular at T4L anyway). Because I don't feel comfortable grading essays at a high school level (felt so overwhelmed, they were just sitting on my desk for two months before I asked for help), I've hired someone who performs a grading service, and she is a true God-send—offers writing tips in her comments as well as the grade. She was recommended to me by a college English professor I know.

Even though T4L offers records, because we can't edit them (when the answer keys are incorrect) or add grades for Odyssey Writer assignments, I just used their records as a template to create my own. This is great for me because now I have his records on our school's letterhead. It's this flexibility I love about T4L. Because it's just a curriculum, I determine how it's used without having to be beholden to someone else (in Delaware, we only have to report attendance...for now). Joshua gets to work at his own pace (no more holding him back just to stay in my comfort zone), and I choose whether certain assignments need to be written or if they can be presented orally to show understanding of the material. When his quiz scores are less than stellar, I get to decide whether he needs to do more review or can just take the test again to move on. Other parents may not even have their children take the quizzes again before moving on. That is the true meaning of parental choice.

Goodness, I'm sorry! I didn't realize how much I rambled on in this little text box until I saw the whole thing posted.

Not a problem ! love to chat !

Report attendance ! you think they would just want to make sure you are doing certain classes for the day !
    I know some other States want you to have a certified Teacher..........

myfamilyma is offline Junior Member

How do you retake the test?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You can just click on the test icon and retake it. If you aren't seeing a new test when you do that, you need to clear your browser's cache, close your browser, reopen it, and try again.

Several test questions are draws from a large bank of potential questions, so the test will be slightly different each time it is attempted.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!