Not Mastered Home School Family
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN

Thread: Not Mastered Home School Family

RobinSJ is offline Junior Member

Default Not Mastered Home School Family

Hi Everyone, we are a home school family using Time4Learning mostly to fill in some areas of studies we've not touched base on yet this year.

My son hasn't mastered a few studies, only scoring a 70 on his test. I am wondering if he can go back and relearn these particular areas. But I am also wondering if the "exposure" is enough as I am sure the areas will be covered again next yr. Does that make sense?

Thanks bunches, RobinSJ

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Your child may repeat the section as many times as you want him to do so. The grade report will include every attempt in the average.

You will need to decide how much is enough and what score is high enough for your family. It is totally up to you whether or not he repeats and how often he repeats the material. Different families do it different ways. As for me, yes, I would have my child repeat material that was not mastered.

HTH-
    Mandy
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I like Mandy's answer. Only you can decide if you feel like your child has learned enough. And things are different for different families. In our house I expect an 80% or above. And I let my daughter have the option to skip lessons and only do the quizzes. However, if she skips the lesson she must make a 90% to prove that she didn't lucky guess and to encourage her to do the lessons. If she doesn't achieve the grade I expect she has to repeat the lesson.

I would argue that for some children making a 70% is a reason to celebrate. For some children a 70% is not living up to potential. You have to decide what your child is capable of.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Lindsay Kelley-Vanderpoel is offline Junior Member Newbie

My daughter is a Special Education student so in our situation we strive for Mastered but if she doesn't get it than I am not too hard on her. I will accept a 80 or higher. Anything lower gets redone. Not all students are the same and all grasp information differently.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Lindsay, Well said! Every student will grasp information differently, and the beauty of homeschooling is that we can adapt accordingly! Happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!