One subject per day???
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By MamaToHerRoo
  • 2 Post By collinsmom01

Thread: One subject per day???

RhondaL is offline Junior Member

Default One subject per day???

I have been using T4L with my 10 year old son for a year now. I've always felt that covering all 5 subjects each day was a lot of switching gears, so I decided on days he has therapy (outside the home) that we would only do one subject. Basically I broke down his week where we will do social studies on Monday. Math, LA, and LA Extenstions are done Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday and we do science on Thursdays (spelling is done every day still). Today he asked me if we could do only one T4L subject each day instead of how we are doing things now. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and how it worked out for you. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

noodlepower is offline Junior Member

Well, I started out that way when I first started homeschooling my daughter. I like doing one subject a day and she did as well. However, it takes forever to get through the lessons so I stopped doing one lesson a day this year.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I think it is perfectly ok to do one subject per day especially as the child gets older. First, the lessons take longer, so it is not necessarily practical to do a lesson in each subject within a day. Second, (this is true for my daughter anyway) she finds it "annoying" to have to switch gears from LA to math, or science to another subject (she would ONLY do science given the choice!) Also, on days when we are out of the house (concert choir practice, for example) we don't have a full academic day, and so it is just not practical to try to do more than one subject on that day. Part of the beauty of homeschooling is doing what works in YOUR homeschool for your child(ren). Give it a try, see how it works, and know that you can always change back to a different way if it doesn't go well!
    pgam and RhondaL like this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

averrette is offline Junior Member Newbie

MY son will be in 7th grade next year. How long does each lesson take usually? And there are 4 subjects total?

collinsmom01 is offline Junior Member

Hello! My son is in 7th grade this year and we do one subject per day. We generally always do MS (Middle School) Science (first Nature of Science then Earth and Space Science) one assignment and quiz each, on Monday. Tuesday is always Math, anywhere from 5 to 8 assignments and 2 or 3 quizzes. Wednesday is always Social Studies, 2 assignments and 2 quizzes, then Thursday is Lang. Arts 2 or 3 assignments and/or Lang. Arts Ext. 1 or 2 assignments depending on my sons attention span that day (Aspergers Syndrome). This works very well for us and according to the Activity planner we will be done with school by end of May. Which gives us time to do State testing here at home (a MN state requirement). I highly recommend using the lesson planner programmed into the school website. Plug in your beginning and ending dates that you want and choose the classes you want to use and hit enter (maybe slightly more involved than that...) and this will establish a activity plan that will give you a basis upon which you can plan your days lessons, more or less. I depend on it. You can also build in vacations days if you wish. I did, very convenient! Hope this is helpful?! Oh! by the way! We generally do school anywhere from 2 to 4 hours per day which is ideal for his attention span. You could always work longer if you like!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

We've done 1 subject a day, except for math. However, I learned early on that math definitely needs daily practice....at least with each of my kids.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

I give my son weekly assignments, not daily ones. I do insist on a certain amount of total assignments done per day when he hasn't been good about doing them without being reminded. But I don't tell him which subjects he needs to do when (except for the last week in the quarter when I needed him to finish a certain amount of social studies before I wrote up the quarterly report for the school district.)

Most of the time, he'll do a block of one subject, and then sometimes he'll switch to one other subject for the day. Yesterday, for example, he did three social studies and one math. I expect he'll do science another day this week, and no social studies that day.

As we approach the end of the school year, he'll have to finish up whatever's left in all subjects, so I'm less concerned about "making it even for the quarter."
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

For my younger kids, I have outlined what they need to do each day. As they get older, we switch to a weekly plan, which I think is good experience for them in planning their time. I've seen my college students sit down with a calendar and a syllabus and outline a plan for their college work, and I like to think the practice they had at home has helped with that.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!