Punctuation lesson teaching British method re commas/quotation marks
    Janet-TX is offline Junior Member

Question Punctuation lesson teaching British method re commas/quotation marks

My 5th grade son just told me that the Time4Learning lessons teach that commas go outside quotation marks. He showed me a quiz to confirm this.

Every U.S. punctuation reference I own says that commas go INSIDE quotation marks. Only British references say to put the commas outside. Why is Time4Learning teaching the British way?

<I wrote to customer service, too...just curious if others here have noticed this.>
    Homeschooling mom of two children (ages 8 and 10).
    My blog about vocational psychology.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Can you provide the lesson number? In America, punctuation almost always goes inside the quotation marks, and I haven't found any T4L lessons that contradict that. There could be an error, though, so I'd like to see the actual lesson if possible.

Thanks.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Janet-TX is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Can you provide the lesson number? In America, punctuation almost always goes inside the quotation marks, and I haven't found any T4L lessons that contradict that. There could be an error, though, so I'd like to see the actual lesson if possible.

Thanks.
    I just read the entire lesson and it looks like the American method was taught, but then the Quiz contained #4 below. It scored the question as correct when my son chose an answer I would have said is incorrect. None of the choices look correct to me.

I sent this screenshot to Marie at Customer Service, so it may already be in the process of being investigated. I am curious, though, what others think the correct answer is. I taught my children to put commas and periods inside quotations.

Name:  Punctuation.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  86.1 KB
    Homeschooling mom of two children (ages 8 and 10).
    My blog about vocational psychology.