Questions about Planning Calculator and Activities
    bruhnrp is offline Junior Member

Default Questions about Planning Calculator and Activities

Hi, new to this and trying it out for my son who is 11yo and going into 6th grade.

When using the planning calculator, I figured 36 weeks for a normal school year (according to our local school calendars: 4 - Nine Week quarters). This gave me the number of activities per day/week/month. As an example, it says for Math there should be 4 daily, 18 Weekly, 80 Monthly. When I go to the details for math: https://www.time4learning.com/App/Ad...px?sID=1&gID=9
    It has the Lesson, Activity Name, LA#, etc.

So my question.... Roman Numerals: has activities Instruction and Quiz. Does that count as 2 out of the 4 required daily activities? Or only 1 out of the 4 daily?

I ask because when I break down all the activities, across all subjects the planning calculator gives me, it comes out to my son doing about 11 to 12 activities each day. Adding quizzes to such activities could mean he is doing quite a lot.

An easier way of asking this.... do quizzes count as an activity in regards to the number given in the calculator planner?

Thank you

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome!

Yes, each "thing" counts as an activity, so he won't be doing quite as much as you feared.

Also, be sure you have checked the option of leaving off the final "Practice" chapter for math. That's the entire previous math curriculum, tacked on to the end of the current math curriculum, in case your student struggles with some concept and you need to look for additional practice. He isn't expected to do that whole chapter . . . or any of it, if he doesn't need the extra practice.

The planning is the most difficult part! If you have any other questions, just ask!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you for your reply.

I used the Curriculum Calculator and didn't see any way to "check" anything to leave it off. I watched the videos for the calculator, but they show a different grade and do not look the same as what I see. I included an attachment of the results I receive.

As another example, I thought he had to do all 4 middle school science curriculum this year until I read differently here in the forums. It might help new people if the Calculator page had a note about only doing 1 middle school science per year.

Do I need to make a Detailed plan where I can de-select that last practice chapter for math?
    Which also brings up another issue. I tried accessing that Detailed plan page in Chrome and it hangs really, really bad. Difficult to even work through it.

Thank you for your help.Name:  calculator.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  23.8 KB

Blog Entries

You do need to use the detailed plan to deselect the last chapter.

The program works best on Safari, with Chrome being a close second. I'm not sure why you are experiencing problems with it. Do you mean it's slow, or that it freezes, or what exactly happens?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you again... will check the detailed plan.

The issue was my Avast Password extension that's installed on Chrome. I went through each one, disabling them until I found the culprit.

Blog Entries

Oh, good! I'm glad you found the problem!