retaking quizzes
    msjhord is offline Junior Member

Default retaking quizzes

Question -- my son took a quiz the other day and didn't do so well on it. Mainly because he rushed through and didn't read the questions properly. He retook it and did better. Does the system take the first grade, the second, the highest attempt, the lowest attempt, etc? thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hello! None of the above! The system includes all attempts in the average. This is consistent with the "school" way of doing things (totaling points earned on multiple attempts and dividing by the number of attempts), because they are reluctant to give a student who scored well the first time the same grade as a student who required multiple attempts.

Parents who want to calculate a score using a different method are free to ignore the average and use the information provided to compute their own score. There is no "one, correct" way to calculate a grade. Some teachers give double points for tests, some award points for every single assignment, some have "graded" assignments and other assignments that are not graded, others will simply award and A or an F based on whether assignments are completed or not and just grade tests. The computer is programmed for one method, but it's up to you whether you want to use a different method or not.

My own kids' reports (which I print weekly) are covered in my crossouts, additions, and notes.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

msjhord is offline Junior Member

okay. so the parent ultimately determines whether or not the student passes/fails the grade, not t4l? or am i reading something wrong? this is our first foray into the homeschooling arena. trying to determine if this will be better for our son who has some learning issues before his middle school starts back in the fall.