Saxon Math Algebra I
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crisleem

Thread: Saxon Math Algebra I

crisleem is offline Junior Member

Default Saxon Math Algebra I

I read that Saxon Math is used. Is it for all grades or just some? Is it a choice or just what is used period? I prefer it, as we've always used it before using time4learning. And my daughter has never done poorly in math. But she's doing the honors Algebra and failing.
    Do I have to change her over to the High School program to do Saxon Algebra? She's currently an 8th grader. According to Saxon Algebra I is for 8-9th grade and she's already finished 8/7.
    Since I don't sit in to watch all her lessons I'm very confused. And when picking classes for her it doesn't indicate what is and what is not Saxon. I'm just not happy with her progress and would rather just give up time4learning than have her NOT learn math well.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Crisleem, Time4Learning uses its own math curriculum (which was developed by Compass Learning Odyssey, for use in public schools). It does not use Saxon math. Some parents use Time4Learning lessons to complement their student's Saxon math lessons.

You might want to consider putting her in high school algebra, although it would be necessary for you to convert her to a high school student (at high school prices) to do that. Then, you would "substitute" eighth grade courses for all but the math in her high school curriculum.

My own kids responded better to the format of the high school algebra course and actually considered it "easier" than the honors algebra for middle school. This is because high school algebra is presented by videotaped teachers and fun animations. Click here to view some high school demos.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

crisleem is offline Junior Member

Thank you very much.

marianes is offline Junior Member

I've noticed that advanced math for younger students is the hardest educational "sync" to make. My 11-year-old is very accelerated in math (already working through algebraic concepts, quadratic equations, exponent rules, etc). She's in high school T4L classes, but she actually doesn't care for the "fun" videos or illustrations. She prefers it when the video simply explains the concepts. I would have thought that the "fun" stuff would help considering she's so young, but no . I've learned to just follow the child's lead and let her work as she feels comfortable. Also, using different curricula (like her school's curriculum and T4L) gives her a chance to practice concepts in a variety of ways, which keeps her from getting set on just one way of doing things. Good luck!