Social Studies 6th thru 8th grade needed to attend highschool
    velezrp is offline Junior Member

Default Social Studies 6th thru 8th grade needed to attend highschool

Has anyone started their kids in public or accredited highschool after using T4L? I want to use T4L until 9th grade when accredited school is helpful when getting into college. However Georgia standard social studies does not flow with T4L. I know other subjects will transfer. I want to make sure my daughter is learning the appropriate information so I am going to have her take the standardize test every year. I do not think she will pass GA CRCT with T4L Social Studies. Suggestions?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I have not moved my daughter from T4L homeschooling to public school. What I can tell you is that we have been using T4L for more than 7 years, and I am confident that the elementary and middle school work is comparable to what she would be getting in public school. In fact, when we do all the lessons available I feel like we might actually cover more material than if we did public school. We are beginning T4L high school this year and the course work seems to fill the bill as to what my cover school requires. (the state I live in only allows homeschooling through a cover school/umbrella school/church school) . As for accredited schools helping with college acceptance, I know that several colleges around where I live actually recruit homeschoolers because they tend to score well on ACT tests, are independent learners, well rounded, etc. The fact that they are homeschooled is a benefit, not a hindrance to the colleges.
    If you feel like T4L social studies is not enough, check scope and sequence against the public school's, use T4L as the base and maybe supplement as needed. Best of luck!

P.S. Check out Letshomeschoolhighschool.com for great information about homeschooling high school and beyond!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Thank you. I have contacted local colleges and they seem to discourage nonaccredited schools. I can't seem to get a straight answer here. My 9th grader now 10th grader switched to k12 montgomery academy. She had only done a semester with T4L and it was not a problem to switch but govt is required and followed the guidelines. The SS on T4L for 6th grade is optional and does not follow GA standards. So I am at a loss on what SS for her to take.

Please dont take this the wrong way but how do you know the kids are learning all that is needed for their age? do you do tests? do you compare to local schools?

vinnys_mom is offline Junior Member

Hi there!

Granted we're new at homeschooling (been doing it since April), however I went through a similar debate as to whether the material was adequate as my son started the science and Social Studies programs. He started further back in the program than the grade he left do to many gaps in his learning over the last 4 years at public school. As his ability improved I wanted to make sure he was getting what he needed academically. We did do placement tests for other curriculums (personally I prefer LifePac) and he was right at the grade level he was leaving off on with T4L. Also, what he's learning is in line with what his older siblings learned at that age and in some areas, more thoroughly covered. I do supplement with work books and other independent learning such as unit studies and I will continue to test compared to LifePac. In Illinois we have very few state involvement in education, so our "target" is for him to be able to score well on SAT/ACTs. Come high school, we are hoping he will be ready to take on dual credit courses through our community college. It's not uncommon for HSers here to finish HS with a 2 year degree.

I'm not sure if that offers any assistance or perspective, but this is what I have found in our situation.

Laurie

How and where did you do placement tests?

vinnys_mom is offline Junior Member

Many of the programs that offer full curriculums have placement tests available. For LifePac, there is a book for each subject that covers 1st through 12th grade (they cost about $5.50 each). There are 10 sections for each grade level and the questions get increasingly more difficult. For math, we used the placement tests from Teaching Textbooks (those are free).

For comparing to district/state requirements, it's just a matter of looking up online to find the standard being used and grade level milestones. Fortunately for us, we have some teacher friends we are in various grades, so they help us with working through tough subjects and sharing reproducables to go along with T4L.

SunshineMommy is offline Junior Member

Yes, I home-schooled my son and then I transferred him to public school when I moved to an affluent area that had a really good school system with grade A schools and small sized classrooms. I honestly was very nervous about the switch and I talked to the teachers ahead of time because I anticipated he might be behind. He had a stellar year, he got As in his classes and I was surprised he actually got above-average scores in the state standardized test (FCAT).

monnalu is offline Member

T4L does not follow the CA social studies requirements in 4-6. I use T4L for everything except social studies and Latin. We use Splash publications for social studies, or I develop a curriculum to follow CA standards. I don't my student to be behind or missing things if she chooses to return to traditional school. She takes standardized tests and scores above overage. She is in the 4th grade this year and plans to finsh 5th grades also (her choice, not mine).

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

This might seem like an odd way to measure but it is what we have done so far. My daughter has a 95 overall average on T4L and just completed a Time4Writing High School writing course with a 99.33% average. She (by her own choice) periodically goes out and takes sample GED and ACT tests. My personal belief is that when she cracks 95 percent on GED practice tests, she will ask to take the GED for real and ask to be done with high school. Her most recent score was 86 percent on the GED sample test. She will be entering 9th grade officially in the fall. She is reading a Physics text book for fun. While it may seem odd, I'm pretty sure she is learning enough to score well on the ACT. In addition, the plan is for dual credit in high school so that she officially enters college with transfer credits. Keep in mind we might change course at any given moment!! Let me mention Let's Homeschool High School again, great source of homeschool high school information!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

4mylynn is offline Junior Member

Yes,my daughter has just entered 9th grade in an accredited public school after being homeschooled with Time4Learning for her middle school years. She had to take entrance testing in math and english only. her science and social studies grades were not heavily considered. In our state, students have to pass our state test in math and language arts at the 10th grade level in order to continue on and graduate. So science and social studies are supplemental. As far as the content of social studies in the Time4Learning program,my daughter did it,but got better results from reading encyclopedias and watching programs on the history channel on tv ! But we thought the language arts content was on target and kept her on grade level.