Started at 6th grade
    babychick37180 is offline Junior Member

Default Started at 6th grade

My son is going to 6th grade. Has anyone notice the material is harder that it should be? Or is my son just behind? He said he doesn't know any of the material. Any suggestions?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Started at 6th grade

Every school and every curriculum will have its own ideas about what your child "should" know. This is especially true with science and social studies. Those subjects are so broad that no student finishes high school having studied all of it.

Even with math and language arts, where there are federal standards, schools (and even individual teachers within the school) are free to present things in their own order and they decide how in-depth to go on each topic.

This applies to you, the homeschool teacher, too! If your child isn't ready for the sixth grade level, start him and third, fourth, or fifth. I once had a fifth grade daughter working on third grade math and seventh grade language arts.

"Grade levels" are pretty subjective. Because of this, I never told my kids that "level" in Time4Learning was supposed to correspond to "grade level". I would just start them on, say, Level Three math if that's what I thought they needed (even if they were in fourth grade), and then when they moved up to Level Four math, they felt they had accomplished something.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

babychick37180 is offline Junior Member

Red face Re: Started at 6th grade

Thank you once again for the help. Maybe soon I won't have any more questions.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

We're here to answer questions! Never hesitate to ask. It can take quite a bit of time to find your wings when you first begin to homeschool.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Hi! So, my daughter and I are new. She is in 6th grade now. I was wondering what is and how to do the Activity Scheduler, also what and how do we do Assignments? Thx so much in advance!