Starting Middle school Science.. Which to start with?? Earth, Physical, Life Nature?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo
  • 1 Post By onlyme4430

Thread: Starting Middle school Science.. Which to start with?? Earth, Physical, Life Nature?

jwilds is offline Junior Member

Default Starting Middle school Science.. Which to start with?? Earth, Physical, Life Nature?

Daughter is in 6th and so we will have the 2.5 years to complete all three? What is the best way to do this?

TIA!

Julie

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I don't think it really matters what order you do them in. We did Earth and Space first just because my daughter wanted to, and we did Life science last because I wanted the information to be fresh when she entered high school biology. They are all "middle school level" and do not necessarily build on each other so order is not terribly important.
    BettyL likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

My daughter will be entering 6th grade in the fall. Is possible for her to do all of them in one year or is that too much? We're still somewhat new to homeschooling....

Thanks for your help!
    Kelly

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Kelly! Since each middle school science course is designed to last a traditional school year, doing all of them in one year would be pretty ambitious. The number of activities available works out to about one per day for each course. You could do this if your student did three to four science activities per day. The actual running time of each lesson is around half an hour, and then you need to figure in time for your student to respond. It would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours of science per day to do this . . . more, if your student isn't "quick" at the math calculations required for physical science.

I, personally, would not try to do this. I think it would difficult for most students to retain that much information. I suppose there might be situations where a family might choose this option, though.

If you do this, please let us know how it works out. Your experiences can help other parents.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

onlyme4430 is offline Member

you can try to find the scope and sequence for your local school district/state for your child's grade level. then compare it to the different T4L courses to figure out which will best suit your needs. we're doing nature and life for 7th grade since it gives us the right amount of lessons (not too many or too few) for the entire school year and it corresponds to our state/local. hope that helps!

SandraG is offline Junior Member Newbie

It all depends on how your kids going to take the lessons. The lessons which they find interesting can be finished earlier than expected or in rare cases the time goes by answering to the unsatisfied enthusiasts. I think it is always good to start with the subject they like the most. The important thing to note is that you shouldn't rush things on to the kids, just so that you need to finish it on time.

I saw the option for "all MS Science" while selecting courses. I selected that, but now wondering if I should just select 1 vs. a combination?