Struggling with 7th grade social studies
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Struggling with 7th grade social studies

Kinakat is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Struggling with 7th grade social studies

My 7th grader is struggling with the social studies. So, I thought I'd ask for any tips or recommendations. We need to start with learning how to take notes, but what else can we do?

How long does it take you to get through a unit? Chapter? Do you use the worksheets & teacher's guide? We're new to homeschooling and are muddling through at this point.

Thanks for any help!
    Kinakat

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

To be very honest, social studies is our weakest subject. We have tried several things over the years, to varied success. We sometimes use the T4L social studies as the basis, but add special projects to make the history more exciting. I try to add movies about the period also, just for the visual reminder. We do not use worksheets or teacher's guide. Sometimes a related field trip helps to spur excitement.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

I make my 7th grader do 3 social studies lessons per week, and I check on the parent account to see that they're done. We've fallen off track lately, since last-minute Bar Mitzvah preparation took more out of us than I'd expected. I'd scheduled no schoolwork for the week before, but then it turned into 2 weeks before. Then somehow he never did any work last week- the week AFTER the Bar Mitzvah when I'd planned on getting back on track. So, this week he needs to do double- 6 social studies, 6 science, 2 math subjects (he learns math fast and I never made him do all the repetitive lessons) but he still only needs to do 2 ELA extensions because he did manage to do those last week. I'm assigning him writing assignments on my own.

At some point I plan to supplement the social studies and science with things like museum trips, historical fiction, and/or documentaries that are on topic. It hasn't happened yet, though.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

You can also check to see if the assignments are done through the student portfolio!
    Linda

Kinakat is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for replying. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one struggling!

Hang in there! Sometimes students have a hard time with social studies because it is "stuff that happened a long time ago". One mom I read about took a family tree, and used statements like, "when grandma's mom was a little girl" using the tree to set the stage. It seemed to make it more real for her kids to know that it happened when a certain relative was alive...just a thought.
    Linda

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

Right now Jack's biggest struggle is the sheer amount of reading in social studies. He doesn't understand why it can't be set up like an audiobook- why is he required to actually read the text? He has issues with reading comprehension, which is a big part of why I pulled him out of school and a major reason I went with an online curriculum. I think I may have to read these out loud to him for him to absorb any of it which is frustrating when I purposely selected an online curriculum so he'd be able to do most of his schoolwork independently.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

monnalu is offline Member

My granddaughter hates to read social studies. We use a curriculum from Splash publications and supplement with T4L social studies. The curriculum we use has the entire program and CDs. My granddaughter does have to follow along in the book as she listens. If she cannot easily answer the 7-8 questions on the quiz following the reading, she has to read it aloud. That encourages her to really pay attention the first time. I have fewer arguments about "reading" the assignment now. She is in the 5th grade. When my own children were in school, they both hated history and social studies. I have done extensive genealogical research on my husband's and my families, so we related our family stories with the history lessons. That seemed to help. I love history, but it is not all about the dates, rather causes and effects and when I taught history in another life, that is the way I taught it. Field trips really help my granddaughter also.

I realize this post is rather unorganized, but it is early Saturday morning. Good luck to you and Jack.

jos
    jos is offline Junior Member

You need to download Natural Reader its free.My granddaughter loves natural reader
    wbutler2015 likes this.

jos
    jos is offline Junior Member

Ruth, you need to try natural reader
    wbutler2015 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast