Tamara, new homeschooled of 6th grade boy
    Jellybeanmau2664 is offline Junior Member

Default Tamara, new homeschooled of 6th grade boy

Just starting home schooling for my son who is starting 6th grade. Any advice how to keep him interested & at his potential without pushing too much?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Tamara! Welcome, to you and your son.

With my kids, I have found that small amounts presented every day works best. It doesn't look so overwhelming to the student, and it really is the way most people learn and, more importantly, retain what they have learned best.

This is the example I like to use. Suppose you needed to memorize a poem by the end of the week. You could read it a dozen times on Sunday and then not look at it again, or you could read it once or twice each day from Sunday through Thursday. With which method would you be more likely to have at least some of the poem memorized by Friday?

It's also a great idea to re-think your ideas of what "school" is. At this age, even public schools attempt to provide courses that align with a student's interests. Here's an article you might be interested in called How Long is a Homeschool Day.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeanmau2664 View Post
    Just starting home schooling for my son who is starting 6th grade. Any advice how to keep him interested & at his potential without pushing too much?
    Hi. My daughter and I are starting tomorrow. She is in 6th grade as well, but she is an extremely eager learner. I found that some of the stuff on the site seems a bit lower grade level than what we are used to so I think there is going to be a big learning curve.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, roachschool. Your student can work at a different grade level for each subject, so feel free to log in to your parent account and adjust any of her grade levels at any time.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!