Teaching Cursive
    HsMomma2four is offline Junior Member

Default Teaching Cursive

We just started homeschooling in the second semester last year so I didn't want to introduce any new skills until we got the hang of things. My 9 yo (4th grade this year) son is not fond of printing (and his handwriting shows this) but I feel it's important to teach cursive writing to him. I've set some goals for this 1) he needs to be able to read historical documents 2) he needs to be able to jot a note 3) he needs to be able to sign his name. But I'm struggling on trying to figure out the best way to teach it. Is a program like Handwriting without Tears the best way to go or just printable worksheets? And should I just try for one letter a week? What worked best for your kids?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

We used Handwriting Without Tears. I didn't get all the extras . . . not even a teacher's edition . . . because the workbooks are very self-explanatory. I might not have gone with a "real" handwriting program if the workbooks hadn't been so inexpensive. They were something like five dollars each back then.

I liked the way HWT taught the letter c first (because it's the starting stroke for a lot of different letters) and then taught the letters c can be turned in to, like a, g, d, b . . .

I also liked that they used memorable terminology. For example, there are certain letters that are connected above the line instead of at the line in cursive. These are called "tow truck letters" because the connection looks like a towing winch. The little graphics really help to remind the child how to make these connections.

Otherwise, there are LOADS of free penmanship worksheets online. LearningPage.com has some nice free ones. SpellingCity allows you to turn your spelling words into penmanship worksheets. If you Google "penmanship worksheet generator", you will get lots of hits for making traceable worksheets of your own.

Good luck!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

home_school_mom is offline Junior Member

We started cursive writing last year and all i did was google cursive worksheets to get us started. I would start with the individual letters and on the worksheets it has the child practice writing that letter. She did so well recognizing them that we moved through the sheets in a matter of a couple of weeks. And now she can read most cursive but still sometimes forgets what some of the letters are. but she is the same age as your child so at 9 I expect it will still take her a while to really have the hang of it. and the more she reads it, I think the more she will be able to move along with writing it and making the words connect properly. I haven't tried a specific program but I think it really depends on you and what you think your child will do better with.

beversacademy is offline Junior Member

I found cursive workshets for free through Google. I had my daughter do one a day, and once she was through with them, she was able to do correct cursive beautifully. I didn't even bother with a curriculum for it. It might or might not work for you, however, depending on how focused your son can be. Good luck!