Understanding Reading Help

Default Understanding Reading Help

My son hates reading, and I'm trying to help him remember what he reads. Can some one give me some tips. He's in the Eighth grade, and we are new to homeschooling. He is so far behind.

hzritter is offline Member

My daughter doesn't like to read either. What I do on the parts that she is to read, I'll read it to her or have her read it to me out loud. I'll tell her she has to teach me. Giving her control makes her happy and more apt to doing the reading. Some days she'll have no problems then every now and then she'll get upset and be struggling. When I pull up the lesson I say AH you didn't read it, Lol.
    Another thing could be just him realizing he can read it out loud because there aren't 25 other kids in the room that you have to be quite for. I know with some school work I understand it better when I read to myself out loud. Good Luck.

onlyme4430 is offline Member

i would start off with reading the passages to him as far as in the lessons...then try "I read to you, you read to me". i used this method with my son when he was younger and also with several kids that had reading problems that i mentored in the past. as far as remembering what he reads, i would suggest breaking down long passages into smaller sections then review each section before going forward or having a small discussion about the paragraph. that has helped with us too, especially when it's a very long passage on a subject that doesn't really interest him. also, just encourage him to read whatever he likes to read during a silent reading time...comic books, game instruction manuals, anything that will hold his interest that he would enjoy talking about after so he can share what he read. we also read every night together still (my son is 12) before bed from whatever book we are studying (now it's Mr. Popper's Penguins). i wouldn't worry too much about the "grade level" stuff....just make it fun for him to do and with practice, he will get better for sure!

home_school_mom is offline Junior Member

When we started out reading/remembering lessons I had my daughter read short stories. and made sure that the stories would be something that she would take interest in. then we slowly went to stories that maybe she wouldn't take an interest in but would teach her something that she doesn't know. and slowly went with longer stories. i also made sure that at the end of each story i asked questions. so for example (sorry this is off the top of my head and I don't want to go crazy with a story so I'll use something we all know) jack and jill went up the hill to fetch what? if she were reading it, she should know what they were fetching. and of course I go more detailed with my questions as she advanced.

all in all i wouldn't worry about being behind because home schooling isn't about where your child is at. each child learns at a different rate and home schooling allows your child to learn at his own pace. he may excel at other subjects and that is great too. my daughter is a wiz in math but doesn't like writing as much. so it took her longer to move ahead at first but slowly she started moving along with her work more quickly.