High Functioning Autistic child - thinking about homeschooling???
    Unregistered Guest

Lightbulb High Functioning Autistic child - thinking about homeschooling???

My son is currently in 6th grade and is on the Autism Spectrum. He is very high-functioning but does have to be in a team taught class with academic modifications (shorter assignments, longer test taking time, etc.) He does not like going to school because it is such a long day for him academically and socially. I am a certified elementary / Special Ed. teacher but have taught only younger kids (grades pre-k through 1st). I'm worried that I will not be able to "teach" him the upper grade material. He is pretty much failing all his classes. I feel the work load is extremely overwhelming to him and to me. Basically I am "blindly" homeschooling him now with trying to figure out assignment requirements, etc. His teachers have been great but I realize he is ONE of their many students. Maybe I just answered my own question "is homeschooling a good choice for us" Advice / thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

kmom88 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: High Functioning Autistic child - thinking about homeschooling???

We actually just started using T4L, but I felt compelled to reply to your post because my son is the same age and in a similar situation and we have homeschooled since he was in 1st grade. It's absolutely a good choice! Don't let fear hold you back at all. I felt pretty competent to teach my kids at home, but what I've discovered is that I mostly just have to be willing to learn with them. I am finding that middle school is presenting more challenges, thus our addition of T4L. I also homeschool a 4th grader, and while in the past I've been able to combine many of their subjects, it's become more difficult to do that with his work becoming more involved. I also wanted him to have more opportunity to work independently and not have to listen to me talk so much! He's very smart, but I know he would be completely overwhelmed and miserable in PS. If we have the opportunity to give our kids a better learning environment & experience, why not? BTW, if you're considering T4L, I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. We're using it as more of a supplement, but I could see using it as the primary curriculum & supplementing it.

mommaof6 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile Re: High Functioning Autistic child - thinking about homeschooling???

Hi, hope everything is panning out for you! I just wanted to say that you are making the best choice for him my son is 9 and is autistic and adhd. We put him back in public school for about a month along with his other siblings and it was the worst decision we could have made. They are all back at home and we have just signed back up here to school them. I promise you, you are more than capable to teach him!!! Wish you luck and happy holidays!