Apparently, if it's not one thing, it's another...
    SnickerJunky is offline Junior Member

Default Apparently, if it's not one thing, it's another...

Today we started the MS Earth and Space Science class for 5th grade. The first chapter, "Human Interactions and Environment " lists the different topics, and the last topic in the chapter, "Minimizing Waste" is showing as "completed" with a check mark. We never even opened this chapter til this morning.

Also, when we click "Authentic Task: Solar Energy (MSSC682) it tells us to click a link about Roofus and when we do, we get a "Page not found" error message, and that is all that the topic consists of. Moving to the next, Authentic Task: Energy Sources (MSSC683), it just brings us to an outside page with different links, links for teachers, etc...this is teaching? Given the opportunity, my son would just skim this page and take nothing away from it.

Now, getting back to my issue from yesterday, when setting up the Activity Scheduler for this week, the Language Arts has jumped from the middle of the first chapter, Suffixes (R5108) to the second half of chapter 3, (R5054)while his lesson in his log-in page is still in the middle of the first chapter where it should be. I've even tried redoing his schedule to see if it would fix it, and it still starts mid/end of chapter 3 in the Comprehension chapter of the 5th grade LA.

This program is becoming more and more frustrating as the days go by, and knowing I'm paying for it to frustrate me is really getting annoying. Not to mention the fact that the 2 other times I have contacted tech support, no one has still bothered to answer me. If it wasn't for this forum, I'd still be hanging. But I have to wonder what it is I'm paying for when lessons are being marked complete before they're ever opened and there is so much confusion between scheduled activities and actual lessons being presented.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry you're having such difficulty. My own kids have used Time4Learning for years, and we've never had a lesson that wasn't done marked as complete, so I'm not sure how to help you with that. Do your reports show that lesson as having been accessed? (Check both the Recent Work and Report tabs.)

I wonder if the difficulty with the scheduler has anything to do with the browser being used? I have been using Google Chrome, but we've used Internet Explorer in the past. Most of the functions of the scheduler are new this year. Although software is always tested on several browsers, every function can't be tested on every browser available before release, but I know Time4Learning tries to troubleshoot any technical issues when they are reported. I'll report this one!

Email tech support has identified a problem with members who use Gmail receiving emails. Gmail recently added three tabs to the top of your inbox, and they sort what you receive according to what type of email it is likely to be. (I, personally, find this really annoying. ) Gmail is putting email from Time4Learning under your "Promotional" tab. I don't know if you use Gmail or not, but some members might find that info helpful.

Some of the authentic tasks are websites, and they aren't my favorites, either. Some of them tell the student to read something at the website and then write their opinion about some aspect of what they've read. If the task doesn't tell the student to do anything other than view the website, I've told my daughter to write three things she's learned from the visit and one question she still has after reading it. That keeps her from just clicking and ignoring.

It does look like that one website has been taken down. Time4Learning uses curriculum leased from Compass Learning, who developed it and only markets it to schools. Because Time4Learning isn't the developer, they can't change the curriculum, but they can report errors, which Compass Learning has been pretty good about fixing. I'll report this bad link, too.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

monnalu is offline Member

Kelly,
    As I read your response on this issue, I find your comments about gmail interesting. I have used Gmail for years, and I just checked my inbox page. There are NO tabs called "Promotional." Not sure what you mean. I have no problem getting emails from T4L if they actually email me. I just find they are not responsive to inquiries or problems.

Blog Entries

Gmail usually rolls out new features to a few members at a time, so you might not have it yet. Here is a picture of what it looks like. You might have to click on the picture to enlarge it.

Attachment 1772

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

We're still settling into a routine here. I used the activity scheduler to help me figure out how many lessons I want him doing per week. It seems like it's going to be too much of a hassle to separately mark off the activity scheduler when he completes an activity- why bother when the "recent work" tab automatically keeps track of what he's done?

I just noticed that he's doing an activity on pollution. It's in the same unit the "activity scheduler" wants him to do, but this specific activity isn't scheduled until 2 weeks from now. I'm not going to worry about it.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

Blog Entries

I used Time4Learning without the activity scheduler for seven years, but I decided to use it this year when the days and breaks were added. I'm finding it useful, but not a lot more useful than just printing the lesson plans/scope and sequence and checking things off on there. I know it was a frequently requested function, and Time4Learning tries to respond to customer requests in that way. No way could anyone use all the resources they provide. I like being able to pick and choose what works for us.

Blog Entries

Time4Learning has addressed the recent email/phone messages issue:

We are thrilled to have you all as part of our Time4Learning family!

In the past few weeks, Time4Learning has experienced an extremely high volume of calls and emails. Please rest assured that we are listening to your messages and reading your emails as quickly as possible. We pride ourselves on our expeditious, thorough service and have not altered our goal of returning messages within 24 hours during the business week.

Here are a few tips that can help us provide you with the best possible service.

For phone calls, please leave one message. Don't forget to leave a number where we can reach you! We return every single call we receive. If you have not heard back from us within 24 hours (Monday-Friday), please call back. Perhaps we returned your call and were unable to leave a message or we could not make out the correct phone number when listening to your message.

For emails, if you have not heard from us within 24 hours, you may want to check in your spam/junk folder. If you have Gmail, be sure to check beneath the new "Promotions" tab in your inbox, as our email is sometimes misidentified as promotional material unless you have us listed as one of your contacts.