BBB #4: Getting Started with Time4Learning for Preschool
    hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Post BBB #4: Getting Started with Time4Learning for Preschool

Development
    Unlike most of the grade level curriculum provided by Time4Learning, the preschool program was not developed by Compass Learning Odyssey. The preschool program was written and developed by Time4Learning staff.

Target Age and Design
    The preschool program is designed to be used by children from age 2-4 (although, like all of Time4Learning, it can be used for your child at any age that you feel is appropriate).

The preschool program is designed around themes, such as Colors, Feelings, The Zoo, and Transportation.

The preschool level is separated into two levels, with Level Two being just a little more "difficult" than Level One. For example, children may be asked three questions on Level one but they might be asked two sets of three questions each in Level Two. There also tend to be more words in the little books and videos that begin each theme. There are 20 themes in the first level and 21 themes in the second level. Preschoolers also have automatic access to the Kindergarten level. Log in to your student's account and use the icons in the left sidebar to navigate between Preschool Level One, Preschool Level Two, and Kindergarten.

Philosophy
    A preschooler's "formal" lessons shouldn't exceed one or two half-hour sessions per day. A preschooler learns best through experiences, and should be provided a selection of activities to use throughout the day, along with their Time4Learning lessons. Some ideas are blocks, sandbox, Legos, water play, imaginary play (playing "house" or "store"), arts and crafts, puzzles, and books.

Scheduling, Reports, and Lesson Previews
    Because preschoolers have different needs than children beginning their formal education, the Activity Planner, the Student Reports, and the Preview function within the lesson plans/scope and sequence in your parent login account are not used with the preschool curriculum. These tools are provided instead:

~Reports: To view reports for your preschooler, log in to his or her account and look for the Reports link in the left sidebar. Preschool Reports indicate how many times a student opened each activity, how many times they completed each activity, and the date they last accessed each activity. Even if a preschooler "knows" the material in an activity, children at this age benefit from lots of repetition, so the number of times an activity has been accessed or completed is valuable information for the parent.

~Lesson Previews: To preview a preschool activity, access the reports as above and click on the name of the activity. Previewing the activity as a parent this way will not affect the student information in your child's reports.

~Scheduling: Some parents schedule and some allow free play. Here is how one mom schedules her child's Time4Learning preschool lessons.

Additional Resources:

There are additional hints and help in the left sidebar when you log in to your student's preschool account.

Time4Learning Preschool Parents' Forum
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 08-26-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Sandranelson1968 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: BBB #4: Getting Started with Time4Learning for Preschool

My experience with Time4Learning Preschool is with three and four year olds. I usually find that they start by sitting on my lap and pointing what to pick and what to do.

After the first few sessions, the kids start asking to hold the mouse and there's a transition period where I have to help them get use to using the left mouse button.(this can be solved by using a one button mouse I think).

Then, the kids feel that they can do it by themselves. I usually position their computer and desk so I can look over their shoulder to see what they're doing. I also have them wear headsets so that I can work in the same room without my hearing them.

Any other experiences to share?