Creating Assestment Test
    jefferysadler is offline Junior Member

Default Creating Assestment Test

Would like to know how I can create an assessment for my 7th grader to see where he is at, and then create a plan that works for him. Thanks.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating Assestment Test

Here's one idea. Remember that it's common for students to work at a different grade level in each subject.

For each subject, start your child a little below where you "think" he is working and give him the assessments first (quizzes and tests). If he does great on a quiz or test, don't require him to do the lesson activities associated with that quiz or test. If he does poorly, then have him do the lesson activities associated with that quiz or test and try again.

Many quizzes and almost all the tests will be somewhat different each time they are attempted, as a few questions are drawn from a large bank of potential questions. These keeps the student from simply memorizing the answers to test questions.

For a psychological boost, start the child quite a bit below where you think he is working. It can really be encouraging to do well on the first few trials. Tell him things will get more and more difficult until he has reached the level where he needs to begin studying, and don't tell him "level" corresponds to "grade level" (i.e. fifth grade, sixth grade).

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

jefferysadler is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the idea and will do that as an option. Do you know if there is a way to reset the student's quizzes? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Here's one idea. Remember that it's common for students to work at a different grade level in each subject.

For each subject, start your child a little below where you "think" he is working and give him the assessments first (quizzes and tests). If he does great on a quiz or test, don't require him to do the lesson activities associated with that quiz or test. If he does poorly, then have him do the lesson activities associated with that quiz or test and try again.

Many quizzes and almost all the tests will be somewhat different each time they are attempted, as a few questions are drawn from a large bank of potential questions. These keeps the student from simply memorizing the answers to test questions.

For a psychological boost, start the child quite a bit below where you think he is working. It can really be encouraging to do well on the first few trials. Tell him things will get more and more difficult until he has reached the level where he needs to begin studying, and don't tell him "level" corresponds to "grade level" (i.e. fifth grade, sixth grade).

bailbrae is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jefferysadler View Post
    Thanks for the idea and will do that as an option. Do you know if there is a way to reset the student's quizzes? Thanks.

To have them take the quiz over, all you have to do is simply exit the quiz properly and then start over. Occasionally, you may need to log out and log back in again.

Once they've retaken the quiz, the custom reports you can find in your parent dashboard will allow you print reports with an average of all of the quiz scores, with the most recent score, or with the highest score.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidental homeschoolers that are now entering their 12th year (2016-17) of homeschooling!

Visit me at You. Me. Us.