Difference between LA and LA Extension?
    Tsimmerson is offline Junior Member

Default Difference between LA and LA Extension?

I've been using t4l since late October and it's going well, but I wanted a clear definition of the difference between LA and LA Extension - does anyone know?
    Thanks!
    Tonya

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Tonya! It depends on the grade level. In the lower grades, language arts focuses on phonics (which is my favorite thing about the curriculum). The language arts extensions are based around science and social studies themes, and include a broad range of language arts topics. As a parent, my preferred way to use language arts in the lower grades is to have my kids finish the core lessons each year, and then move on to the extensions. In the upper grades, however, I have my kids do language arts and language arts extensions together.

The reason I choose to have the younger kids complete the core program before moving on to extensions are:

• The readers in the core program are all decodable phonics readers. This makes them "easier" than the reading material in the extensions.
    • Both language arts and language arts extensions assign writing activities using Story Creator. If it happens that a Story Creator assignment shows up in the core language arts and the extensions, it's too much for most children. (Mine liked it, but they didn't do their best work on either writing assignment.)
    • The language arts extensions are based around science and social studies themes. Actual science and social studies lessons for K-2 are limited in number, and most students will finish them during the first part of the school year. Placing the terrific, theme-based language arts extension lessons during the end of the school year has filled in the science/social studies gap for my kids. (I just add library books on that week's topic: Native Americans, Weather, Solar System, or whatever the theme is.)

I suspect the reason for the two language programs is because, years ago, the program initially was intended to be "basic" and later activities were added to offer a more complete curriculum.

Of course, you may use the program any way that benefits your own child.

Hopefully, other members will come along and share how they use the language arts and language arts extensions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

My older son is in the T4L high school program, so he doesn't have the LA extensions anymore. For my youngest (4th grade), he does the extensions in conjunction with the core LA lessons. He will usually do a couple of LA activities a day, and one extension. This means that towards the end of the year, he only has extensions left, but that's okay.

When he was younger, he did all of the core LA lessons first, then went through and completed the extensions. That worked well too, at that time.

In my opinion, I don't think there is a wrong way to use them. Some families don't even bother with them at all. I like having them, and my son doesn't mind doing them, so it's all good here.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Tsimmerson is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the replies! It makes much more sense now. . It didn't even occur to me to hold off on the extensions - that was great info! I am going to rethink how I have everything scheduled. Thanks again!