Eight Grade History
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Eight Grade History

RobinSJ is offline Junior Member

Default Eight Grade History

I'm confused where eigth grade history could be in the lessons? It is on my sons screen but when I check out lessons it says "see below or above", well I didn't pay for High School..UM?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Ok, so ...T4L's primary focus is math and language arts, but the science and social studies are offered as a bonus. However, they don't have a social studies for 8th grade so what most people do is drop back a grade. The parents might add a little extra research, or essay writing, or some outside reading to pull the difficulty of the grade SS to 8th grade level. If your student has not done the 7th grade it will be new to him, and there should be no problem counting it as 8th grade work. Make sense? Remember that reading biographies from the history period being studied, watching documentaries, and field trips (if possible) will add depth to the available lessons.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

RobinSJ is offline Junior Member

Thank you Linda!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Social studies and science are survey subjects. You can be an expert in Civil War history and know absolutely nothing about ancient China. Because social studies is a survey subject, you don't need to master one topic before moving to another. Publishers of textbooks will simply refer to a text as a middle school text or a high school text. States then adopt textbooks to be used for a particular grade based on what topics are covered in what grade according to their state standards. So, with that in mind, any middle school topics covered in T4L 6-7 grade that your child has not covered could be used in grade 8.

Look at T4L's new middle school science. It is for 6-8, and there is no specification that they must be completed in any specific order. Think of social studies the same way. There is a precedent for this in the state if TN. K12 is offered free through the state of TN, but the state shifts the social studies and their aligned art programs to better align with TN standards.

Honestly, I would be comfortable also swiping activities from grade 5 social studies to use in grade 8. OR, for anyone reading this and looking ahead, look at the number of activities in the grade 5 social studies. There are so many activities (431) that it makes sense to split it in two and use half for grade five and half for grade six. Then, you can use what T4L lists as grade six social studies for grade seven and grade seven for grade eight.

Next year for grade 6 my plan is to use the geography, politics, and economics chapters from grades 5 and 6. I am considering using grade 5 chapters 12-15 and grade 6 chapters 12-17. These chapters cover geography, civics, and economics. Something like this:

Semester 1
    Civics
    Grade 5- Chapter 14: Political Science
    Grade 6- Chapter 15: Political Science
    Grade 6- Chapter 16: U.S. Political System
    Economics
    Grade 5- Chapter 15: Economic System
    Grade 6- Chapter 17: Economic System

Semester 2
    Geography
    Grade 6- Chapter 14: Maps/ Globes/ Geographic Tools
    Grade 5- Chapter 12: Geography of the United States
    Grade 5- Chapter 13: World Geography
    Grade 6- Chapter 12: Investigate Your State
    Grade 6- Chapter 13: Characteristics of Your State

I plan to use three courses from The Great Courses that cover the Middle Ages for history next year, so this will create a T4L social studies course that is totally separate from our history lectures.

HTH-
    Mandy
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Mandy, that is one of the best explanations I've read . . . even better than the explanation I usually offer.

On a personal note, I've used seventh grade social studies as an American History course for three of my kids' freshman year (before T4L had high school courses). It's really good.
    MamaToHerRoo and Mandy in TN like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Thanks Kelly!
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo