HELP!!! Between Grades!!!
    MomOfJ is offline Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy HELP!!! Between Grades!!!

hi,

ok, so my dilemma is the following (I am sure I am not the only one):

my daughter and I are new to homeschooling.... we are officially in 4th grade, BUT, the 4th grade curriculum is half the stuff my daughter already did in 3rd grade. So we tried out some stuff in 5th grade and even there is stuff she learned already in 3rd grade as well.

This only goes for her LA and Math. We are good with science and social studies.

So I tried to customize her schedule but how can I include stuff from both grades? I am kind of frustrated as I dont want her to do things she already learned in 3rd grade but also dont want to skip things she might has not learned in 4th grade yet...

Please help!!

Thank you.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: HELP!!! Between Grades!!!

The activity planner works great if you are going to use the plan in sequence. But there wasn't a planner available for many years. It's a relatively new option that you do not have to use.

Some parents just look at the scope and sequence and start their child a little below where they think they are working. Then they have the student do a quiz or test before doing any lesson activities. If they do not do well on the quiz or test, they do the lesson activities associated with that quiz or test and then try again. Most of them will be a bit different each time they are attempted, because a few questions are drawn from a large bank of potential questions. This is to make sure the student is really understanding the material and not simply memorizing the answers to a quiz or test from doing it over and over.

Using this "testing out" method, if the student does quite well on a quiz or test the first time, there is no need for them to do the lesson activities associated with that quiz or test at all. They just go on to the next quiz or test. In this way, they are only studying material they do not already know and you don't really have to jump between several grade levels. Just start at the lowest you think there might be some gaps and keep "quiz/testing" until you get to an area where study is needed.

There are other ways you can do this, but the testing out method worked well for my daughter, who struggled a lot in math.

Hopefully other parents will come along and share what has worked for them.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MomOfJ is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: HELP!!! Between Grades!!!

HI,

thank you so much for the reply.... I been looking around in level 4 and 5 quiet a bid and trying to figure it out. I guess I am just worried that I might miss a lesson and then when it comes to the state testing she fails... See, there is stuff in level 4 she has done and hasnt done. But in level 5 she has done some things too... I guess having to much freedom on this is confusing me as I am coming from the oldschool public school system myself.

I just dont want to do anything wrong.

Also jumping between 2 grade levels I find it hard to keep track off in my calendar... I guess I will just have to figure it out....