Help! Newbie and it's not intuitive to me...
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By turningleaf
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By Robin

Thread: Help! Newbie and it's not intuitive to me...

Question Help! Newbie and it's not intuitive to me...

I had trouble viewing some of the "getting started" materials, so I jumped in with both feet. I fear that it could be easier that it seems and/or I'm missing some materials.

First question, I created a detailed plan. Can I change an activity to a different week? For example, we started school 8/10 and that week we did math. We had the opportunity to participate in a honey extraction demonstration, so we focused on reading about bees and making the most of a hands on field trip. Looking back there were some LA activities that would be good, but we didn't "fit them in". Can I move them to another week? Will we always be behind?

#2) I see where you can add a week break to the schedule, but how do you had a single day off for holiday or field trip?

#3) If I choose to study something outside of the planned curriculum, how do I adjust it so it doesn't look like we missed material with in your program? We also ran into a situation where he accidently skipped ahead and did rounding numbers before completing the previous math lesson. It makes a mess of the planner.

#4) My son started an activity and I realized it was too repetitive and he was ready to move on. I chose to let him quit the activity. He was scored a 50%. What can I do to remove the partial activity/failing score? He mastered the quiz.

#5) do worksheets show up on his daily plans? or do I have to see it on the planner and print it out in advance? I'm not clear on when worksheets are used and when they are only supplemental. Having to go look it up and print it off the master list is time consuming and cumbersome. Is there a link anywhere else that goes to the individual activity/add on? I think it's confusing to expect the child to go find it. It seems like a number of extra steps when I thought the whole purpose was to a have everything in one place.

I want to get the most out of the program, but I'm finding it a little confusing. I requested the homeschooling getting started guide a few times, before I received the link. It has lots of useful information in it, but I really thought it was "getting started with Time4Learning". I would love a straightforward guide to getting the most out of the program.
    Thanks in Advance!
    scorpiomom4 likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Turningleaf! Answers to your questions are below.

Quote Originally Posted by turningleaf View Post
    First question, I created a detailed plan. Can I change an activity to a different week? For example, we started school 8/10 and that week we did math. We had the opportunity to participate in a honey extraction demonstration, so we focused on reading about bees and making the most of a hands on field trip. Looking back there were some LA activities that would be good, but we didn't "fit them in". Can I move them to another week? Will we always be behind?

You can edit your plan, but you can't specifically "move" an individual lesson. You can add the week where you missed lessons as a weekly break and the lessons will be redistributed.

If you change plans often, you might want to just use the curriculum calculator instead of a detailed plan. That will tell you how many activities per week your student needs to do to in each subject to complete the curriculum.

To do the activities in order, just click on a subject and continue clicking on the first icon without a checkmark until you get to an activity to do. If you are going to do more than one activity in that subject, repeat the process.

It might help to know how the program is laid out. Clicking on a subject icon "opens a textbook". You will be taken to a page of icons that represent chapters in the subject. Clicking on a chapter icon takes you to a page of icons that represent lessons in that chapter. Clicking on a lesson icon takes you to a page of icons that represent lesson activities in that lesson. Clicking on a lesson activity icon takes you to an activity to do.

#2) I see where you can add a week break to the schedule, but how do you had a single day off for holiday or field trip?

The plan generates lessons for a week. You can go back in to it and use the dropdown menu to the right of each activity to specify which day you want the activity done. To take a day off, just do not schedule any activities for that day.

#3) If I choose to study something outside of the planned curriculum, how do I adjust it so it doesn't look like we missed material with in your program? We also ran into a situation where he accidently skipped ahead and did rounding numbers before completing the previous math lesson. It makes a mess of the planner.

Time4Learning provides a lot of material. Parents choose what to use and what not to use. The planner is a tool for you to use. The student reports show what the student did. The reports don't indicate what was available to do . . . just what was done. So they never look like anything was missed.

#4) My son started an activity and I realized it was too repetitive and he was ready to move on. I chose to let him quit the activity. He was scored a 50%. What can I do to remove the partial activity/failing score? He mastered the quiz.

Only completed activities appear on the student reports. You are probably looking under the Recent Work tab, which will show all program access for a maximum of thirty days. If you generate a report using the actual Reports tab, you will see that no incomplete activities appear on that report.

#5) do worksheets show up on his daily plans? or do I have to see it on the planner and print it out in advance? I'm not clear on when worksheets are used and when they are only supplemental. Having to go look it up and print it off the master list is time consuming and cumbersome. Is there a link anywhere else that goes to the individual activity/add on? I think it's confusing to expect the child to go find it. It seems like a number of extra steps when I thought the whole purpose was to a have everything in one place.

If you use the curriculum calculator and the "next unchecked icon" method of navigation that I described above, you will find worksheets marked as "Resource" below their associate activity icons. These are the same worksheets you will find in the lesson plans within your parent login. If you use the curriculum calculator and the "next unchecked icon" method of navigation, you or your student can print them before he clicks on the icon to do the lesson. If you use the detailed plan and the Activity Finder to navigate, you will need to locate worksheets, quizzes, and tests yourself.

I want to get the most out of the program, but I'm finding it a little confusing. I requested the homeschooling getting started guide a few times, before I received the link. It has lots of useful information in it, but I really thought it was "getting started with Time4Learning". I would love a straightforward guide to getting the most out of the program.
    Thanks in Advance!
    Time4Learning provides a lot of material, tools, and choices. Families aren't expected to use all of it. Making the choices can be difficult at first. Especially for new homeschoolers, the idea that they don't "have" to do things a certain way takes awhile to sink in.

I hope this answers most of your questions. If not, just let us know and we'll do our best to help!
    scorpiomom4 likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Kelly provided you with a lot of great answers. I just wanted to welcome you to Time4Learning. You'll find great support here and in the T4L Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Time4LearningFamilies/
    scorpiomom4 likes this.