Help with social studies...
    moxleyshomeschool is offline Junior Member

Question Help with social studies...

Ok last year I had to go through the kids lessons and write out questions for them to answer otherwise they would forget everything by the time the lesson ended. Now in 7th grade the lessons come with worksheets already made. Why don't all grades come with these? has any one made any 'worksheets' for grade 5 social studies they would be willing to share?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. There are a few worksheets in fourth, fifth, and sixth grade social studies . . . about one per chapter. Did you miss them? They can be printed after logging in as a parent and accessing the lesson plans/scope and sequence. In addition, throughout those online lessons, there are yellow boxes with "written" activities for your student to do (draw and label a map and so forth). There are also questions with answers to select periodically throughout the lesson. These do not show up on the student's reports, as they are intended to get the student thinking about the material and to help them remember what they are studying, much like a worksheet.

In seventh grade, there are none of those little checks along the way. Instead, there are worksheets for each lesson. It's simply a matter of the design of the curriculum. Time4Learning provides curriculum in a variety of formats, both to eliminate the boredom of having every lesson look exactly the same and to make room for periodic updates.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

onlyme4430 is offline Member

i just wanted to suggest that you may want to supplement the social studies lessons with lapbooks. we've done that for all the "chapters" so far and it provides a great tool for review and deeper understanding of the lessons. before the end of chapter tests, we always review the lapbook we worked on during the lessons...my son is a 7th grader too

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

OnlyMe, I have been a huge lapbook enthusiast over the years. I have boxes and boxes of lapbooks my kids have done. Since Time4Learning provides social studies as a free bonus, it's unlikely to be updated to include lapbooks, but we did have a lapbook pocket with Ed Mouse on it to hold some Time4Learning work at one point. I will try to find it!

Time4Learning and Lapbooking

Video that shows example of lapbook with Time4Learning pocket holding that week's reports

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

onlyme4430 is offline Member

i really love it for my son...i think it's a good fit to get some info from different sources too so he doesn't get bored with how the t4l presents the material. as a bonus, he loves history so it's something that he enjoys doing (most of the time lol). typically, i use the same website for all of the lapbooks for social studies specifically, bookunitsteacher.com or something like that. i don't print the weekly reports since i can just look at them anytime and it saves more ink/paper for lapbooks lol.