how do we know

Thread: how do we know

Default how do we know

Good evening. We are fairly new to this and need help figuring out how we know that our son is ready to go on to the next grade. he is currently in 10th. Also, his lessons are now showing "n/a" where the score used to be..is there a reason that is happening?? Anyone who can help is greatly appreciated.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! As the teacher of record, it is up to you to decide the criteria for proceeding to the next grade level. The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School.com . Since "a high school course is a high school course" (there is no "ninth grade math, tenth grade math, etc.), students are usually considered in ninth grade during their first year of high school, in tenth grade during their second, in eleventh grade during their first and in twelfth grade during their fourth . . . regardless of how many credits they have earned.

I can share what I have done with my own high school students. I found graduation requirements online for several high schools and used them for inspiration to come up with my own. For example, one school requires:

English 3 4 4
    Mathematics 3 3 3
    Science 2 2 3
    Social Studies** 2.5 3 3
    Arts 1 1 2
    Health and Fitness 2 2 2
    Career and Technical Education 1 1 1
    Electives 5.5 4 4
    World Language or Personalized Pathway Requirement 0 0 2
    Total Required Credits 20 20 24
    (Up to 2 credits can be waived locally based on a student's unusual circumstances.)

If I wanted to follow their plan, I might have my child do Time4Learning for English, math, science, and social studies. They could chose any course they wanted from among Time4Learning's selection. Since those courses are designed to last a typical school year, I would award them one credit each time they finished a high school course (one credit in science for a biology or chemistry course, one credit in math for an algebra or geometry course, an so forth).

Then I might decide approximately 100 hours is worth a credit in my high school. So I'd keep track of their organized sports activities, or require some other form of exercise (working out at the gym? Walking the dog?) and award one credit in P.E. every time they did that for approximately 100 hours. Electives could be cooking (helping Mom cook dinner or cooking dinner for the family), auto mechanics or woodworking (taught by Dad or older sibling . . . or Mom!), or whatever the student needs to learn.

That's a very brief idea of how many families do high school. Do check out the Let's Homeschool High School site!

Many activities are intended to teach . . . not to assess. These will receive an N/A (not applicable) where you might expect a grade. Compare the teaching activities to a teacher standing up in front of the class and explaining how to do something. Student's don't receive a grade for that. Even if they have raised their hand a few times to answer the teacher's question, there really is nothing to base a grade on. The Time4Learning teaching activities are designed to simulate that. The student watches an animation or video and then might be asked just a couple of questions to get them thinking.

I hope this has helped!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!