How does my student know which lessons to do?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mandy in TN

Thread: How does my student know which lessons to do?

Default How does my student know which lessons to do?

I just created a lesson plan for my daughter but when she logs into the student log in, there is nothing there telling her where to go besides the weekly schedule. I assumed that there would be hyperlinks for each lesson in her schedule but it was not. Do I literally have to stand over her and direct her to the lessons and if so, what is the scheduler for exactly?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. The Activity Scheduler is to help you decide how many lesson activities your student should do each week. If your student will be working in the recommended sequence, she just needs to follow the arrow when she has logged in to her lessons. If you plan for her to work out of sequence, she will need to input the lesson activity numbers into the Activity Finder instead. Here is some additional information about basic navigation. Please let us know if you still have questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

lolmurphy is offline Junior Member

what if a child is done with the activities in a class. for example my son has no more math in his activity planner for 1st grade.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

If he has finished the first grade math curriculum, you may select activities he didn't score well on and have him repeat them . . . or you may move him on to second grade math.

To select activities for review, log in as a parent and look at his reports. Note the lesson activity number of activities with poor scores and use the Activity Finder to access the lesson activities.

To move him on to second grade math, log in as a parent, select the Student Records tab, choose Change Grade Level, and follow the instructions there.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Keep in mind that T4L is a curriculum and not a school. You are responsible for seeing that the product is used, and you can use it in whatever way it works best for your family.
    HTH-
    Mandy
    MamaToHerRoo and lovehmschlg like this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

I'm in the same boat. I did the activity scheduler and then expected the student to have a page showing what all he should do today, and that list for just today would get checked off as he went, so he'd know how much more he had to do, TODAY. Have you found anything yet? I guess I'll just print the activity scheduler and give him a day at a time on that to check off on paper.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pegtastic View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I did the activity scheduler and then expected the student to have a page showing what all he should do today, and that list for just today would get checked off as he went, so he'd know how much more he had to do, TODAY. Have you found anything yet? I guess I'll just print the activity scheduler and give him a day at a time on that to check off on paper.
    The activity scheduler is not an incorporated student scheduler. It basically just does some basic division. From the parent area, if you print off or paste to excel the list of activities, then count all the activities, quizzes, and tests. Divide this by the number of days you plan to do school. I actually divide by the number weeks and so we can just look at what we need to finish that week. I am required by my umbrella to school 180 days, but this year I scheduled 160 so that we could have 10 days each semester for field trips, standardized testing, and sick days before I had to feel like I was behind where I wanted to be. So, I divided our work by 32.

Also, be aware that that if the math in your child's grade has a practice chapter, you do not need to include those activities. That is a whole extra math program that you can use if your child needs extra work with a skill. Also, if you look at the LA extensions and you are using a grade that has a spelling chapter, that chapter should not be completed at a speed of one activity a day. If your child does one spelling activity a week and a lesson quiz the same week as he does the final activity/ spelling list in that group, then there is your spelling for the year.

As an alternative, you can just open T4L and have your child follow the arrow to the next lesson completing as much as you have time for that day. It's not how I would do it, but then I always expect to and actually like to adjust programs to get the most out of them or the make them work better for my family.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

christen is offline Junior Member

For me, I just go in order and follow the arrow for the most part. I usually look ahead the week before and decide if I want to skip around or anything. For the person who said their son is done with first grade math, you should have access to second grade, too. Also, if you are looking for more math- I recommend Life of Fred, Multiplication.com for the games (they have addition, too), Khan Academy, Xtra Math. These are all free except for Life of Fred which is a book. If he needs help still memorizing addition facts I recommend reading the book Addition Stories every day. You can also find lots and lots of free worksheets online.

TxBrandi is offline Junior Member

Can anyone tell me what happens if in certain subjects your child gets finished (the ones they are better at) and move on to the next grade -maybe they end up in 2 or 3 different grades -what happens if they have to go back to public school? How do you know which grade to say they are in?