HOW TO: Use the Activity Planner
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: HOW TO: Use the Activity Planner

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Post HOW TO: Use the Activity Planner

For years, Time4Learning parents were instructed to note the number of lesson activities available in each subject and divide that by the number of days in their school year to decide how many lesson activities their student should do in each subject. They then told their child something like, “Do two language arts, two math, one science, and three social studies each day.” Many parents still choose to do that. The Curriculum Calculator and the Detailed Plan were designed for parents who requested additional tools. Using them is optional.

The Curriculum Calculator portion of the activity planner quickly does the math for you, so you don't need to look up the number of lesson activities in each subject. You can also quickly recalculate if your situation changes or to experiment with multiple scenarios.

1. Log in to your parent account and click on Create a Plan. It's an orange button on the right side on the home page of your parent account.
    2. Choose Curriculum Calculator.
    3. Choose your student's name from the dropdown menu.
    4. Type in the first day of your school year and the last day of your school year.
    5. Choose the number of days per week that your student does lessons from the dropdown menu.
    6. A table will be generated that shows how many lesson activities in each subject your student would need to do each day, week, or month to complete the year's curriculum in the amount of time you specified.
    7. Once the table has been generated, you can change any of the information, such as start or end date, and those changes will immediately be reflected in the table.
    8. Print or take note of these numbers, so you will know how many lesson activities to tell your student to do each day.
    9. When your student logs into their student account lessons are presented in a suggested sequence. Your student need only select a subject (such as math, language arts, etc.) and click on the first icon that has not been checked off. They then click on the first subject that has not been checked off on the next page and the next until they reach an activity. If they will be doing more than one activity in the same subject, they begin the process again for the next activity. In this way, they are “drilling down” through textbook, chapter, lesson, and lesson activity.

The Detailed Plan includes information about the lessons and allows you to schedule breaks.

1. Log in to your parent account and click on Detailed Plan. It's an orange button on the right side on the home page of your parent account.
    2. Choose your student's name from the dropdown menu.
    3. Name your plan so you can find it later. For example, “Susan's Junior Year” or “Bobbie 2015”.
    4. Type in the first day of your school year and the last day of your school year.
    5. Click Save and Proceed.
    6. If you want to add weekly breaks, click the blue Add Weekly Breaks button at the top right. This is not where you add a day off. It is only for weekly breaks. Days off will be added later.
    7. You add breaks week-by-week. Click in the empty field and a calendar will pop up. Click the Sunday of the week you want to schedule off. Then click Add Break, at the right. If you want to add additional weeks (such as for a twelve-week summer vacation), continue clicking within the empty field, selecting the Sunday of the next week off, and then clicking Add Break until all breaks are added.
    8. All added weekly breaks will appear in a list. You can click the delete button next to any weekly break to remove it from your list.
    9. When you are finished adding weekly breaks, click the “X” in the upper right corner to close the box.
    10. If you want to include all subject in this plan, click the Subjects box at the top.
    11. If you want to include only certain subjects, click the box next to each subject you want to include.
    12. For each subject that you are including, select whether you want to include all available material in that subject or if you want to pick and choose what to include.
    13. If you have selected Choose My Material for any subject, you have a choice of excluding certain types of material or of choosing each individual item you want to include.
    14. To exclude certain types of material, uncheck the appropriate boxes under Activity Types, to the right of the subject name. Learning Activities are the core of the program. Worksheets are any printables that aren't part of a learning activity. These are considered supplementary/optional by the developers. Quizzes are short tests. Tests appear at the end of every chapter.
    15. To choose specific material, check the appropriate boxes in the menu tree that appears. Subjects are divided into chapters, then lessons within a chapter, then lesson activities within a lesson. (These are the “learning activities”.) Additionally, there are tests, quizzes, and supplementary worksheets. You can select boxes to include or exclude all available material in that subject, all material within a chapter, all material within a lesson, or individual items.
    16. When you have finished, click Save My Selections.
    17. Click Create My Activity Plan.
    18. Again choose the name of your student from the dropdown menu. Select the name of the plan you just created from the second dropdown menu.
    19. Click the Manage Plans tab.
    20. A box will pop up where you can delete any plans you no longer want to keep and, most importantly, set the plan you just created as your student's default. This is the plan they will see when they look for their schedule on their lesson page. Click the “X” in the upper right corner to close the box when you have finished.
    21. You can allow your student to work from a weekly plan, deciding for him or herself which lessons to do each day, as long as the week's work is all completed. Or, you can assign certain activities for certain days.
    22. You may assign daily activities all at once, but most parents prefer to do this each weekend for the upcoming week.
    23. To assign daily activities, log in to your parent account and click on My Saved Plans. It's one of the orange buttons at the lower right of the home page of your parent account.
    24. Select your student's name from the dropdown menu and select the name of the plan from the second dropdown menu.
    25. Click the arrow next to the week you are working with.
    26. All activities for the week will be displayed. Click the arrow next to the week you are working with. Next to each activity, select the day of the week you want your student to do that activity. If you are taking a day off that week, just do not schedule any activities for that day.
    27. If your student has already done some of the activities, check them as Done.
    28. Any notes you add will be visible to your student when they access the schedule on their end.
    29. When you are finished assigning days, you can print or save the week's schedule in several formats by clicking on the appropriate choice in the tabs at the top.
    30. The default schedule will appear under your student's Schedule tab when logged in to their account. They can check the schedule to see what they must do that day. They may check off each item on the schedule as they complete it OR the computer will automatically check off all completed items once per day.
    31. To find the activities, the student can use the drill-down method described in the Curriculum Calculator instructions, above, or they can use the Activity Finder. To use the Activity Finder, they type the lesson activity number (which is labeled LA# on the schedule) into the space marked by a magnifying glass at the lower, right of their dashboard when logged in as a student.
    32. If you have printed the week's schedule for your student, they can check off the items with a pencil as they complete them.
    33. Additional Information: The activity plans do not affect what lessons appear for your student. They only tell your student what to do. All material is available to your student at all times. This is similar to giving your student a textbook and telling them to read the third chapter and do the questions on page twenty.
    34. Additional Information: The Assignments tab is designed for classrooms and is only used by schools.
    35. Additional Information: You can edit the planner by logging in to your parent account, clicking on the orange My Saved Plans button on your home page, choosing your student's name and the name of the plan you wish to edit, and then clicking on the Edit Planners tab.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 08-24-2016 at 05:10 PM.
    coopermrocio and reyesr74 like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Rabia is offline Junior Member

Hi,
    my daughter is using the sixth grade curriculum and I have tried using the activity scheduler but it doesn't include the Language Arta and LA extentions.What should I do?
    Also I see that she can register for the Algebre,how do I do that please.

thank
    rabi

Blog Entries

Hi, Rabia. Log in to your parent account and click on Change Grade Level under Make Changes to My Account. Choose your student's name from the left sidebar and then look under Language arts and language arts extensions. Make sure you have selected a grade level for those. You can also choose algebra from that location.

If you have selected a grade level for language arts and language arts extensions, look at your planner again and make sure you elected to add those subjects to the plan.

Please let me know if neither of those work for you.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Rabia is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Hi, Rabia. Log in to your parent account and click on Change Grade Level under Make Changes to My Account. Choose your student's name from the left sidebar and then look under Language arts and language arts extensions. Make sure you have selected a grade level for those. You can also choose algebra from that location.

If you have selected a grade level for language arts and language arts extensions, look at your planner again and make sure you elected to add those subjects to the plan.

Please let me know if neither of those work for you.

Hi kelly,
    thanks,that helped!☺️

Is there a way to copy a Detailed Plan from one student to the other?

mikefoster75 is offline Junior Member

what if we're starting in the middle of the school year? my daughter has already finished more than half of the 6th grade at public school. Does any of that count towards the required 1000 hours of instruction.

Blog Entries

If your state requires a certain number of hours for homeschoolers, the public school hours will count. Homeschoolers also legitimately count arts and crafts, music lessons, organized sports, 4H, Scouts, volunteer work, part time jobs, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking, child care, and auto mechanics toward their school hours.

You might be interested in reading How Long is a Homeschool Day?

Blog Entries

No, there isn't . . . but that is a great idea! I'll suggest it.

neasie1023 is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much for this. I just enrolled my son and these instructions were instrumental! Thank you. B. Moore

ciao4now is offline Junior Member

I am in the same boat and am trying to see where to start my 8th grader. I am trying to use the planner but seem to missing something.

Is there a way that he can just open up the subject and have what I assigned on it for that day?
    THank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefoster75 View Post
    what if we're starting in the middle of the school year? my daughter has already finished more than half of the 6th grade at public school. Does any of that count towards the required 1000 hours of instruction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast