Journals and Notebooks and Oddyssey Writer..I'm so confused!
    SnickerJunky is offline Junior Member

Question Journals and Notebooks and Oddyssey Writer..I'm so confused!

So when a subject says to write something in your journal, where do we find it? Or the notebook? Or are these actual paper journals and notebooks we are supposed to be using? I did see on the math lesson that a little bag icon was over the instruction and there was a journal in there but there isn't anything like that in Social Studies (5th grade, btw) where it frequently tells him to journal something. I'm completely stumped with the Odyssey Writer. How will we know when we're supposed to use it? Does the lesson tell you to? Or is that what we journal and notebook in?

Also, when a subject says "RESOURCES" under it, and it has these worksheets to print out, am I supposed to have him do them and grade these? Or are they optional?

And a little off topic, but I've noticed that when he takes the mid-lesson quizzes these past 2 days that there are questions that he hasn't read learned about yet and then I see that they are covered in the second half of the lesson. How is that going to help him feel like he is learning anything when he gets the answers wrong because the subject hasn't been covered yet? I realize that these quizzes aren't counted grades, but he gets discouraged when he doesn't get the answers right because he had to guess.

I would have emailed this to T4L but they are 2 for 2 in never replying to me so I thought I better post it here.

Thanks in advance!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. You should receive an email answer from Time4Learning within 24 hours of submitting it (except on weekends).

The journal referred to in social studies is a paper journal. Just a spiral notebook will do. If you log in to your parent account and click on the "Visit Our Storefront" link in the right sidebar, you will see that T4L sells one for two or three dollars that has Ed Mouse on the front . . . but this is not at all necessary. I finally ordered a couple for my kids this year, just for fun. We have just used regular paper until now.

Time4Learning offers a lot of resources, for parents to use "their way". Some do only the online lessons and ignore worksheets, some don't believe in tests, and others use every resource out there. For my kids, we do the online work and only go back and do the worksheets if they get a poor test grade. Math is the exception in our family. I view the math worksheets from the lesson plans within my parent login and print the ones I want my kids to do from there. (They can be printed from your parent login or from that "Resources" tab beneath your student's icon.) Sometimes, there are five pages of worksheets under one math lesson, so I just choose one or two that I think my child needs.

Odyssey Writer will pop up when your student opens a lesson that requires it. It has nothing to do with the journal. Odyssey Writer is not used during the first part of the year at most grade levels, and then it's used frequently during the second half of the school year. Be sure your student knows to paste the instructions into his work area, because parents are responsible for grading writing assignments and you will want to know what your child was instructed to write. There is a little icon at the lower, left of the writing area for pasting the instructions. When he is finished, he needs to click the Hand In icon at the top, right. Then, he chooses a fictitious "teacher" to "hand it in" to. This does not really send it to anyone, but it causes the assignment to be marked as complete and to show up as a link in his reports. You can then view, print, and grade it manually from his reports.

Some of the newer quizzes seek to determine what the student already knows, and the newer lessons will alter what is presented based on the answer. Some of the older quizzes try to determine how well a student can apply what he has learned to different situations, so they might be asked something that's a little broader than what they were taught, to see how well they understand the concept. For example, a student who has been taught that 1+1 is 2 and 2+1 is 3 MIGHT be able to figure out that 6+2 is 8, based on this simple introduction to addition. Or, he might be stumped because he hasn't yet studied these addition facts, in which case he is probably not understanding the concept of addition. He is just memorizing facts.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have more questions or comments.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

You are so awesome. Thank you!

As for the replies from T4L email inquiries, The first one I sent was over a week ago, and the latest was the 24th. No replies. I will probably just call next time if it's something I can't get answered here.

One of the things I had asked the other night was about the fact that I had my son's schedule all done and ready to go for the 25th, and when I logged in the night of the 24th just to go over it all one more time for myself, the Social Studies was all different in my saved schedule. It was originally set for him to to the Olmec Civilization and what was in it's place was Political Science! I printed it out thinking maybe all this time I had been looking at a sample schedule and panicked a little at my plans being all changed at the last minute, but when I went back to it again a few minutes later, it was back to Olmec. I thought I was losing my mind so I looked at what I printed out and sure enough, for the week of the 24th it says Political Science. I assumed it was a glitch and threw that one away, but with an Asperger's child, it could have created a headache for me when it wasn't what he was prepared to do! So do I need to constantly check and recheck my saved schedule that is what he is supposed to be learning? Is this a common issue? It's messing with my OCD, lol..

Blog Entries

I'm going to guess at the problem, because I had a similar issue, but I caught it before printing. You might notice a little "thingie" pop up at the bottom of your screen periodically, saying your work is being automatically saved. It gets saved very frequently, but if you exit before your latest work is saved, you lose it. To avoid this, I just sit there a few seconds after I'm finished working with the scheduler and wait for that "thingie" to pop up before exiting.

Or . . . if you have more than one saved schedule, you could have inadvertently printed the wrong one. To delete any schedules you aren't using, go into your parent login, click on the Student Records tab, select the Activity Scheduler icon, and then click on the little gear icon at the right that says Manage. From there, you can delete any schedules you are not using or select one to be the default (the one that shows up on your student's launchpad). The schedules appear with the oldest on top and the newest on the bottom. Be sure you don't delete one that you still need, because you won't be able to get it back.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I've noticed the save notification popup and don't think that was the issue, because it did go back to normal when I exited and went back into it again. I was just wondering how messy it would get if I happened to log in during one of these glitches and ended up planning the wrong week. Would different lessons be in his page? Or would they coincide with whatever it is that I had planned, even if it was the wrong week? And would he get credit for it or lose a week? See? I'm overthinking it lol. I don't think I need answers to these questions, I'm OCD enough to keep checking compulsively lol.

But one more quickie. When he logs in and looks at his lesson plan, he keeps seeing 2 days in Social Studies that still say "choose" even though I have them marked on mine in the saved plan as Thursday. Am I missing something somewhere? I filled it all in and saved it, and when I log in, I go to that saved one and it is complete on my end and missing those on his. I've corrected it twice today and it keeps randomly going back.

I promise I will try not to bug you so much next week lol..

Blog Entries

We're here to help . . . or at least to talk to when there's no help to be had.

i'll report that glitch. I think I have mine all fixed up and printed for the year, and it seems to have "stuck" just fine. The day assignment function is new this year . . . actually only a few weeks old, so there could be an unknown glitch.

It does sound like you think the activity scheduler causes only the activities you've scheduled to show up on your child's launch pad each day. That isn't the case. The scheduler is just a checklist that tells the student what to do. He always has access to the entire program, although the arrows will point to what is next in line. It's sort of like giving your child a textbook with a bookmark in it and a list of the chapters he's supposed to read today. He has the entire book in his hand, but what he is supposed to accomplish has been made clear.

i hope this helps. Please let me know if that glitch works itself out with persistence, or if we appear to have a problem.

Yeah, I realize it's only a guide. It said "choose" again this morning on the same 2 activities. We are done with them for the week, so I will see if it happens again next week.