Just Signed Up!

Thread: Just Signed Up!

RushTX is offline Junior Member

Talking Just Signed Up!

Yay! So excited to be starting my daughter in the first grade T4L curriculum.

I set up the activity planner, and when I log into her account, I can see her lessons.

I need to double check on something. Sorry, I know I asked about this before. But still a little uncertain as to how to proceed.

Okay. I looked over the scope and sequence, and there's certain place where I want her to start. I can get to those lessons from her account. Do I just have her open those and start from there? I read something in other messages about an arrow or something that you follow, or can't follow if you pick and choose what lessons to do (something like that)?

Also someone mentioned (or I've seen several messages about this) something about taking the chapter tests and if the kids do well on the test they can move on. Where do I find the tests? I see the lessons, but wasn't sure how to go straight to the tests, or if that can be done.

About the Activity planner - does it automatically update? Or I mean, how would I update it if I have her skip some lessons? I'd like to start her at a certain point - like in language arts I'm going to have her start on the lesson on the ea blend - forgot where that actually is - and then move forward from there. And there might be other lessons where I'll need her to skip.

I'm mostly concerned with her wasting time on things she doesn't need and not getting to what she does need to work on. We're sort of trying to play catch up, which is why we're starting her in the summer.

Thanks!

Rushell

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Rushelll!

Quote Originally Posted by RushTX View Post
    Yay! So excited to be starting my daughter in the first grade T4L curriculum.

I set up the activity planner, and when I log into her account, I can see her lessons.
    Do you mean you CAN'T see her lessons? Here are step-by-step instructions for using the Activity Planner. It doesn't affect what lessons show up for your student, just as making a list of chapters for her to read in a textbook wouldn't affect how much of the textbook was visible. The Activity Planner is designed to help you create an online list of what she needs to do that she can check off online.

I need to double check on something. Sorry, I know I asked about this before. But still a little uncertain as to how to proceed.

Okay. I looked over the scope and sequence, and there's certain place where I want her to start. I can get to those lessons from her account. Do I just have her open those and start from there? I read something in other messages about an arrow or something that you follow, or can't follow if you pick and choose what lessons to do (something like that)?
    Use the Activity Finder to locate the lessons. Just type the lesson activity number (LA#) into the Activity Finder. The Activity Finder is the little magnifying glass icon at the lower right of her screen when she is logged in.
    Also someone mentioned (or I've seen several messages about this) something about taking the chapter tests and if the kids do well on the test they can move on. Where do I find the tests? I see the lessons, but wasn't sure how to go straight to the tests, or if that can be done.
    To locate the tests, it's necessary to understand how the program is organized. If you click on a subject icon (such as "math"), it's like opening a textbook. You find a page of icons representing chapters in the textbook. If you click on one of those, you go to a page of icons representing lessons in that chapter. If you click on one of those, you go to a page of icons representing lesson activities in the lesson. If you click on one of those, you get to a lesson activity to do.

Chapter tests are located at the end or at the bottom of a page of chapter icons.

About the Activity planner - does it automatically update? Or I mean, how would I update it if I have her skip some lessons? I'd like to start her at a certain point - like in language arts I'm going to have her start on the lesson on the ea blend - forgot where that actually is - and then move forward from there. And there might be other lessons where I'll need her to skip.
    You do not have to use the planner. It will not update on its own. It is simply a list of what you want your student to do. You can pick and choose lesson activities when you create a plan, if you know in advance what you want her to do. If you will be deciding as you go along, it's usually better just to refer to the lesson plans/scope and sequence to locate the activity numbers of lessons you want completed, and type those numbers into the Activity Finder.

I'm mostly concerned with her wasting time on things she doesn't need and not getting to what she does need to work on. We're sort of trying to play catch up, which is why we're starting her in the summer.

Thanks!

Rushell
    It sounds like you're on the right track!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Welcome, Rushell!

RushTX is offline Junior Member

I CAN see her lessons, or well the textbook like icons, when i log into her account. So i think it is all set up correctly.
    And since i dont really have to use the activity planner - which i did read that sticky post about how to set it up and kinda followed the online instructions as well - actually i might not use it. I plan to have her go basically in order, and i can open up her lessons to do as she goes i guess. To tell the truth, i actually don't like planners because everytime i make a plan, we will run into a snag, like something she struggles with and might need to spend a little more time on, etc. A planner with scheduled lessons, online or offline, just makes me feel frustrated in the end.

Your description of it being like opening a textbook to whatever page number was helpful. I can see it more clearly (in my mind) now. Thanks!!

Rushell