Just started a 6th grader today. New to homeschooling - Should I just start anywhere?
    roubiont is offline Junior Member

Default Just started a 6th grader today. New to homeschooling - Should I just start anywhere?

I'm a little confused because when I do the activity planner, it doesn't account for him having already had half of these lessons this year. Can I skip to where he's at now or should he start from the beginning? Will it still count if I skip lessons?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. If your student has completed half a year with another curriculum or in a traditional school setting, that doesn't necessarily mean he has already "had half these lessons". Each school (and even each classroom in the same school) will present material in a different order. Especially with science and social studies, there is a huge variation in what material is presented when.

We did host a webinar awhile back on beginning homeschooling mid year. It is available in recorded form on YouTube here. Beginning Homeschool Mid Year

Here are detailed instructions on using the Activity Planner. Yes, you can skip or delete anything you wish.

As far as whether something will still "count" . . . It is important to know that Time4Learning is not a school. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum, so the parent is the teacher of record. We encourage you to follow the homeschool laws in your state, but we do not oversee this. Each state has its own homeschool laws, and they are all very different.

Some people mistakenly refer to online schools as "homeschooling", because the work is done at home. Legally, homeschooling means that the parent is the teacher of record and directs the child's education. The parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence. The parent makes all decisions regarding what to count, how to grade, how to schedule, and so forth, subject to the requirements of their state.

With an online school, a third party is the child's teacher of record and directs the student's education. The school is responsible for following the school laws (not homeschool laws) in the school's state (even if the student resides elsewhere).

An online school will provide official transcripts and may offer a diploma. Student reports from a homeschool curriculum like Time4Learning are for parent information only. An online school also costs much more than an online curriculum, because of the staffing and oversight involved.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!