Kids' Site is Confusing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kids' Site is Confusing

Courtney Crosland is offline Junior Member

Question Kids' Site is Confusing

I logged into my daughter's account for the first time and it's very confusing. They have so many things to click on. How do they know if they are clicking on the right thing? I figured since I scheduled their lessons that they would just have those to complete. But there are many things to click on.
    Renea1 likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Think of each "subject" icon as a textbook (math, language arts, etc.) Click on the subject icon to open the book and they will be taken to a page of chapter icons. Click on the first chapter icon that has not been checkmarked and they will be taken to a page of lesson icons. Click on the first lesson icon that has not been checkmarked and they will be taken to a page of lesson activity icons. Click on the first lesson activity that has not been checkmarked and they will be taken to the activity they should do next. (The system puts a checkmark on the chapter icon when all of the lessons in that chapter have been completed. It puts a checkmark on the lesson icon when all of the lesson activities in that lesson have been completed.)

We often think of a "lesson" as the amount of work to be done in one sitting, but that isn't necessarily true, depending on the curriculum. Time4Learning defines a "lesson" as an idea or a concept, and each lesson is broken down into many lesson activities. The student may do one or more lesson activities each day.

Alternatively, you can access the lesson activities by looking at your schedule and locating the lesson activity number. These are often labeled LA#. Input this number into the activity finder at the lower, right of your child's screen after he has logged in. I think that field is indicated by a magnifying glass. Once the number has been input, hit Enter. Your child can copy the LA# from the schedule and paste it into the Activity Finder field.

I hope this helps you understand how the curriculum is laid out. It can take some getting used to, but it quickly becomes second nature. If you don't choose to use the Activity Finder, just remember to always click on the next thing that doesn't have a checkmark.

Make sure your child knows how to exit activities properly, so they get marked as completed.
    Renea1 likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

It's good to know that a check mark is placed on what is completed, I just figured that the only lessons that would show up were the ones I scheduled. How do I keep them from doing too much? What's the point of scheduling lessons?
    Renea1 likes this.

Blog Entries

Time4Learning offers loads of resources, at parents' request. The activity scheduler is one of them. You do not have to use it. You can just let your student go at his or her own rate. Some parents wanted a way to assure that their child would "finish a grade level" during a traditional school year, so the activity scheduler was added as an option.
    Renea1 likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I understand that, but a schedule doesn't show up on her page. Just a ton of subjects, etc. I would assume that only what she's supposed to do that day would show up?
    Renea1 likes this.

Blog Entries

Hi, Courtney. The child always has access to all the lessons. The purpose of the schedule is to let them know what they are supposed to do each day. Think of Time4Learning as a textbook. Your child can always see the entire textbook and could turn to any page they wanted to. You've only told them to read pages four and five and answer the odd numbered questions on page six, though.

When you set the schedule you've created as the default, a little rectangle with a calendar icon and the word Activity Schedule will appear in the row of icons at the top of the screen after your child has logged in. Other icons in that row are Game Room, Time4Art, Game Room, etc. If you do not see the Activity Schedule icon, you have not saved it and set it as the default.

Your student can click on the Activity Schedule icon to see what they are supposed to do that week (or that day, if you've narrowed it down that much). They can also click on the little box next to each activity to indicate they have done it.

My own kids prefer that I print their schedule each week so they can use a pencil to check off their activities. That way, they don't have to keep navigating back to the Activity Schedule.

Don't confuse the checkmark your student places in the scheduler with the checkmark the program automatically puts on an icon when your child finishes an activity. They are separate things.
    Renea1 likes this.

I've saved a schedule for each child. There's no option on the page to make it default. How do I do that? It's not showing up on their page.

I figured it out. Thanks.

Well, I saved a schedule as default and it's still not showing up on their page.

EdithJ is offline Forum Moderator

Now that you have set up a schedule, click on Create/Access Activity Schedule. Then click on the little gear icon at the top, left of the schedule that appears. In the box that pops up, all schedules you have created and not deleted will appear. Make sure only one of them has the word Yes in the column labeled Make Default. If you have created more than one schedule, the last one you created will be at the bottom.

Log out of your child's account and log back in. You should now see a rectangle labeled Activity Schedule at the top of the screen, along with the Playground, Time4Art, Help, etc. icons. Your child can click on that to view their schedule and they can click on the small boxes to indicate when they have finished something. The system will place a checkmark on a completed activity's icon whether your student marks it as complete on the schedule or not.
    Renea1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast